Sash Window Repair
Post questions and find answers on glazing, double glazing, upvc glazing, conservatory glazing, fixtures and fittings etc....

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
roscoe2008
Labourer
Labourer

Sash Window Repair

by roscoe2008 » Sun Oct 07, 2007 11:34 pm

Hi all,

1st time post and my DIY experience is limited, however having just bought my 1st home I'm hoping this will change.

My home has single glazed sash windows that are in need of some TLC. My budget has been used elsewhere and I won't be able to replace them until next year. I know what I want to do but thought I'd ask for tips on each step:

1) My 1st plan is to clean the outside of the windows and paint them. Are there any steps inbetween cleaning and painting that would improve finish or proctection of the wood.

2) I also need to repair some of the sash bars (not sure of terminology??) on window and need to know the best steps to do this, from the type of adhesive to use and also what to treat them with.

Thanks in advance for any replies.

jamesbro
Labourer
Labourer

Re: Sash Window Repair

by jamesbro » Wed Apr 05, 2023 5:04 am

Congratulations on buying your first home! It's great to see that you're taking an interest in DIY projects to improve your new property. As for your question, there are definitely steps you can take to improve the finish and protection of your single glazed sash windows before painting them.

Firstly, after cleaning the windows, make sure they are completely dry before painting. This will ensure the paint adheres properly and doesn't peel or flake off. You could also consider sanding the windows lightly to create a better surface for the paint to adhere to.

In terms of protection, you could apply a wood preservative or primer to the windows before painting. This will help to protect the wood from moisture and prevent rotting.

As for repairing the sash bars, it's important to use the right adhesive to ensure they stay in place. A two-part epoxy adhesive is a good choice as it will create a strong, long-lasting bond. Once the adhesive has set, you can sand down any rough edges and apply a coat of primer to protect the repaired area.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sun Sep 08, 2024 12:36 am