Shed roof : how to build in removable sections
Questions answered and a range of solutions on problems and issues encountered with timber framed buildings

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
jpadie
Labourer
Labourer

Shed roof : how to build in removable sections

by jpadie » Wed May 10, 2023 3:13 pm

Hi all,
First time post here. Be gentle.

I'm in the throes of building a wooden shed. Walls are done. It's housing pool kit and there are areas where it would either be beneficial to stand up (the shed is about 120cm high) or have access from above for servicing.
The idea was to have three sections of roof going front to back. The left needs to be removable. The middle could do with a flap up in the middle to provide standing room. The right section can be fixed.
It all needs to be as leak free as practical as there are electrics etc within.
I had planned to build with marine ply and protect with roofing felt. But I'm stuck on how to protect against leaks at the joins of the sections and how to make the flap on the centre section.
Any ideas please? Roofing felt already bought but if I have to change horses, so be it!
Approx size is 3m wide, 1.3m deep and 1.2m high. The centre section is 130cm and has no support beam at the front (to allow for full access from the doors).

Thanks in advance
Justin

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Shed roof : how to build in removable sections

by stoneyboy » Fri May 12, 2023 10:16 pm

Hi jpadie,
Assuming you have a mono pitch roof I suggest you make the whole roof lift as one. Reduce the shed to 2.2m so you can use a standard ply sheet 2.4m. Use 12mm ply with bracing strips underneath for rigidity.
Regards S

jpadie
Labourer
Labourer

by jpadie » Sat May 13, 2023 9:26 am

Thanks. A good idea but the shed is built except for the roof! I wont make that mistake again!

The other gnarly element is that the roof sections (at least the flap) needs to be handleable by someone on their own once every couple of days.

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

by stoneyboy » Sun May 14, 2023 10:50 pm

Hi jpadie,
You need to change horses (your words) and make the shed smaller. A 12mm panel with roofing felt hinged on the back wall will be handleable by one person, you could add gas struts to make it easier.
Regards S

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon Jun 24, 2024 2:38 pm