All aspects of plumbing questions and answers, help, tips and information

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
adammada
Labourer
Labourer

Converter for 15mm tap tail to 3/8" pipe

by adammada » Fri Jun 16, 2023 10:25 am

Hi,
I am trying to fit a replacement tap to a mini-sink that's built in to the top of a toilet. The original tap isn't made any more by the manufacturers - the nearest equivalent is apparently this one: https://www.diy.com/departments/goodhom ... 207_BQ.prd

The problem is that the cold water tap needs to be fitted into a pipe that is apparently 3/8" wide, whereas the tap tail it comes with is expecting a 15mm pipe, according to a plumber that came to see the issue but didn't have the necessary part.

I can find plenty of converters that convert a 3/8" tap into a 15mm pipe (seems to be how you fit European taps to UK pipes?). But I think I need the opposite, to fit a 15mm tap into a 3/8" pipe (actually the output of an isolation valve).

I can't find one anywhere I've looked, and the staff at the couple of shops I've asked don't know where to get one either. Does anyone have any ideas?

I thought about getting new tap tails that end in a 3/8 fitting. But the tap is a mini one and the end of the tail that needs to go into the tap seems to be non-standard - smaller than a M12 fitting anyway, perhaps it's M8 if I was to guess ? But I can't find one of those either :)

(Weirdly the hot water input goes into a standard 15mm pipe so that one is fine - but the cold water pipe is smaller - the hot feed was added later as I understand it)

Thanks for any help!

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Converter for 15mm tap tail to 3/8" pipe

by stoneyboy » Mon Jun 19, 2023 10:31 pm

Hi adamanda,
It is not easy to understand what fittings you already have but I suggest a short piece of 3/8 copper pipe and a 3/8 to 1/2” olive set would do the trick.
Regards S

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sun May 19, 2024 8:25 pm