Running outdoor lighting from Rewireable plug
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
poggle
Labourer
Labourer

Running outdoor lighting from Rewireable plug

by poggle » Mon Jul 03, 2023 2:48 pm

Hi guys,

I’ve had some outdoor plug sockets installed by a competent electrician.

I’ve then installed 2 Philips Hue (Appear) lights on our pergola.

I have terminated with a 3A Rewireable plug, gone into an inline RCD, then into an outdoor wago and split off 2 1.5mm2 weatherproof cable (one to each light). I estimate that around 16m of cable has been used in total.

Is it a big no-no to have these on a rewireable plug? Because they’re wifi operated, they will be ‘on’ all the time.

Thank you for your time and I hope I haven’t ignored any rules.

Adam

ericmark
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Running outdoor lighting from Rewireable plug

by ericmark » Thu Jul 06, 2023 2:52 pm

A google for Powermaster 469272 In-Line Active Outdoor RCD 16A 230V~ 50Hz fails to get important details. A further hunt and did find rated at 30 mA @ 30 mS but does not state type A or type AC, but why would one need one if the socket is RCD protected anyway?

If a resent install it will already be protected by a type A 30 mA RCD, if installed some time ago I think it was around 2004 when all sockets likely to be used outside needed RCD protection.

My own board was installed before type A was required, but it is RCD protected.

I have a weather proof socket supplying a out door standard lamp with a smart bulb and I see no problem at all with that installation,

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sun Sep 08, 2024 1:03 am