Fitting ceiling light with 4 wires
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Andyowl90
Labourer
Labourer

Fitting ceiling light with 4 wires

by Andyowl90 » Sat Jul 15, 2023 4:13 pm

Hi,
Hopefully someone can give me some guidance about this! Trying to replace a ceiling light. Took the old fitting down and there are 4 connectors. On the new fitting, 3 wires. I’m just trying to make sure I get the right combination. Unable to add photos, so will describe as best I can!
Here are the wire combinations for the 4 connectors;
- 3x green/yellow
- 3x red
- 2x black
- 1x black with brown sleeve
The three wires from the light fitting are as follows;
- 1x green/yellow
- 1x brown
- 1x blue
if someone can advise which wire connects to which connector I would be really grateful!

ericmark
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Fitting ceiling light with 4 wires

by ericmark » Sun Jul 16, 2023 9:08 am

In the UK the standard method to wire ceiling lights is power goes from ceiling rose to ceiling rose, and there is a switch cable from the ceiling rose to the on/off switch, this means there is always a live supply at the ceiling rose to work fans or emergency lights, and it keeps the loop impedance low.

In other countries it is common to use the switch as a junction box instead, this has the advantage of having a neutral at the switch to work electronic switches, but has disadvantage of no permanent line at the lamp.

The Hager Ashley J501 16A Lighting Junction Box is designed to replace the ceiling rose so you only have a three core cable to the light, there are many other makes, it is basic a ceiling rose designed not to be on show.

However often the connector block can be changed to one with four connections, 5 amp connector strip I see at 29p as to if you can fit it in safely is up to you.

So here are the wire combinations for the 4 connectors;
- 3x green/yellow = Earth in/out to next lamp and to switch.
- 3x red = Permanent line in/out to next lamp and to switch.
- 2x black = Neutral in/out to next lamp.
- 1x black with brown sleeve = Switched line from switch to lamp.

So the three red connect together and don't go to lamp.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sun Sep 08, 2024 1:08 am