Changed Light Socket in Living Room, Kitchen Lights no longer work
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Mrcturner
Labourer
Labourer

Changed Light Socket in Living Room, Kitchen Lights no longer work

by Mrcturner » Tue Aug 29, 2023 6:55 pm

Today I changed the light in my living room for a new one.

I changed the light socket like for like. I took a photo of the wiring before changing and used the same wiring to install the new socket. (Live for live etc.)

Turned the power back on and the new light socket works fine.

BUT, now the lights in the kitchen don’t work.

How is that even possible?

Thanks

Mr White
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Changed Light Socket in Living Room, Kitchen Lights no longer work

by Mr White » Tue Aug 29, 2023 10:49 pm

Since you took pictures first, while the lights were working, and now you have changed the light fitting and the light in the kitchen does not work, you obviously did not follow your own picture, either that or a wire has snapped or you did not connect it right.
Wait till daylight and have a look.
It's hard to tell from this end of a computer what exactly you have done.

ericmark
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Changed Light Socket in Living Room, Kitchen Lights no longer work

by ericmark » Wed Aug 30, 2023 11:13 pm

There are two ways to wire lights, use the switch back box as a junction box, or the ceiling rose as a junction box, the latter is the normal method in the UK, it has some advantages with less volt drop, and power for emergency lights and ceiling fans. But there is a inductive and capacitive linking with the switch wires, and often no neutral at the switch so using modern electronic switches becomes a problem, but there are ways around the problem.

However the standard ceiling rose has a supply in, a supply out, and a switch wire, in theroy one should have a twin and earth wire to the switch with two brown wires, but normally there is a brown and a blue, and the blue is over sleeved. The sleeve falls off, and people end up getting the switch line and neutral mixed up.

So you need to look at your photos and work out which wire you have got wrong.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Oct 18, 2024 6:20 am