Damp work in rented from housing association property
Damp can be a major issue in the home. Find answers to questions or post your own here.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Deb04
Labourer
Labourer

Damp work in rented from housing association property

by Deb04 » Fri Oct 20, 2023 7:41 pm

Rented from housing assoc, iv had rising and permeanting damp now for 7 years, it's a house converted into flats the house is on the 1911 census I'm ground floor, we have had issues still have with ground water pooling, heavy rain the meter goes up into the red also walls are soaking wet.

Mould is quite bad, plaster has blown also skirting boards and parts of floor has rotted, door frames are also showing signs of dry rot

anyway they have finally decided to fix the damp when they came out they said the usual type of damp works, fix cracks outside, rerender and damp proof course

Now they have told me they don't need to do any of this work all they need to do it battening on the walls, plasterboard with a membrane that by doing that it will create a void that will increase air flow and cure the damp
I have serious doubts about this work it's on every external wall, they are also replacing the radiators for larger ones as even with heating full blast it rarely goes above 17c in the flat has any one had experience of this and did it work for you as everything I have read says u need to sort the issue of damp out before putting plasterboard membrane or not over it

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Damp work in rented from housing association property

by stoneyboy » Sat Oct 21, 2023 11:04 pm

Hi Deb04,
In my experience fitting a membrane on a damp wall only creates a non permeable surface for condensation to form on, this then runs down and ends up as pools of water at the bottom of the wall.
Unfortunately as a rentee you have no power to influence what the housing association should be doing.
You will have to let them get on with it and when it goes wrong, give them the opportunity to carry out corrective works. If they do not, you will probably have to contact one of the legal firms that will take up your case on a no win no fee basis.
Regards S

Deb04
Labourer
Labourer

Re: Damp work in rented from housing association property

by Deb04 » Sun Oct 22, 2023 6:00 pm

Iv looked a lot into it and everything iv seen has advised against it, I know of a few people that have had this work done and the results are the damp is thru withing 12-18 months and then there told that it was too successfull and the resulting damp patches n wet patch's are in fact condensation and giveing the usual advice re condensation

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Oct 18, 2024 9:38 am