New light switch with terminals different way around
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

15 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
billy2608
Apprentice
Apprentice

New light switch with terminals different way around

by billy2608 » Thu Nov 09, 2023 1:57 pm

I have two switches in my living room. The one inside the door entrance switches the light on and off. On the other side of the room by the back door is a 2 gang switch which switches the living room on and off but also switches the outside light on. The rear of the current switch has L1 at the top with a brown wire and L3 at the bottom with 2 brown wires and nothing in L2. The other end has L2 at the top with a black wire and L3 at the top with a grey wire. At the bottom is L3 with two brown wires and L1 with a black wire.
I have bought a new switch and at the top it has L11 and L1 at the top and L12 at the bottom. The other side has L21 at the top and L2 and L22 at the bottom. Because the two connectors are different to the current switch by having the two connectors at the top instead of the bottom has completely baffled me. Could someone help me to work out which wires go where.

Mr White
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: New light switch with terminals different way around

by Mr White » Fri Nov 10, 2023 12:08 am

billy2608 wrote: Because the two connectors are different to the current switch by having the two connectors at the top instead of the bottom

Turn the switch upside down

billy2608
Apprentice
Apprentice

by billy2608 » Fri Nov 10, 2023 8:53 am

I have tried turning it upside down but the light switch at the entrance wont switch on or off. I am confused with the L11, L12, L21 and L22. If the brown wires are in L1 and L3 on the old connector where do they go in the new connector. The single connector at the top of the old connector is L1 but the single connector on the new switch is L12. The two connectors on old switch has two brown wires going into L3 but the new connector has L11 and L1 so which one replaces L3.

Mr White
Project Manager
Project Manager

by Mr White » Fri Nov 10, 2023 11:41 pm

Pictures of the back of old switch and new switch.

billy2608
Apprentice
Apprentice

by billy2608 » Sat Nov 11, 2023 6:15 pm

I have managed to attach the photos.
Attachments
New switch.jpg
Photo of old switch and new switch.
Photo of old switch and new switch.

Mr White
Project Manager
Project Manager

by Mr White » Sun Nov 12, 2023 9:37 am

The terminal configuration looks the same on both switches (Out of focus picture does not help) I have never seen a switch such as you have, make and model / where you purchased it from may help.

billy2608
Apprentice
Apprentice

by billy2608 » Sun Nov 12, 2023 10:32 am

This is the link from Amazon where I bought them.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B09K6YHRXH? ... tails&th=1

Thank you

Mr White
Project Manager
Project Manager

by Mr White » Mon Nov 13, 2023 12:21 pm

I have been searching for a "diagram" of your switch, all those that I have found have wires in the way. BUT yours doesn't but as it's a poor quality picture I can't confirm what I have found. Can you please take an in focus picture of the back of your switch.

billy2608
Apprentice
Apprentice

by billy2608 » Tue Nov 14, 2023 8:45 am

Good Morning and thank you so much. I have tried so hard to take photos of the back of the switch but I just cant get it focused. I have a photo and named each terminal.
Attachments
light switch 2.jpg

Mr White
Project Manager
Project Manager

by Mr White » Tue Nov 14, 2023 11:58 am

Not perfect, but it does help immensely. (You will have to work on your photography skills, no, not joking, you may need it someday)

Note: Read the whole of the following TWICE before you do anything else.

As you have 4 browns, 3 are light brown, 1 is dark brown, tape the two light browns that are now in L3 together, while they are still in the switch. (That way, they will always stay together, this is very important)

You are looking at the back of each switch.

Below is for each half of each switch.

Old switch ..........New switch (Left half first)
L1 = ------------------- L1 (Light brown)
L2 = ------------------- L12
L3 = ------------------- L11 (Light brown x 2, you taped them together)

Old switch ..........New switch (Now the right half)
L1 = ____________ L2 (Black)
L2 = ____________ L22 (Dark brown)
L3 = ____________ L21 (Grey)

Don't rush.

FYI.
Both old and new switches are 2 identical switches side by side, BUT the left part is upside down in relation to the right part. Have a look at the old white switch, don't look left to right, look top to bottom.

billy2608
Apprentice
Apprentice

by billy2608 » Tue Nov 14, 2023 5:03 pm

Thank you so much. As its dark I will try tommorow. I have read it over and over so I wont be making any mistakes. I will let you know tommorow. Thanks again.

Mr White
Project Manager
Project Manager

by Mr White » Tue Nov 14, 2023 6:53 pm

Just don't rush, and tape the two browns together while they are in situ first.

billy2608
Apprentice
Apprentice

by billy2608 » Thu Nov 16, 2023 8:51 am

Good Morning. Thank you and I really appreciate all your help. I couldn't have done it without your help

I wired up everything as instructed and unfortunately nothing worked. I could not get any lights to work. I have studied your instructions and studied the old wiring in the white switch and completed the following:-

Old Switch = ......................New Switch
L1 =....................................L11 (light brown)
L2 = ...................................L12
L3 =....................................L11 (light brown X2 taped

L1 =...................................L21 (black)
L2 =...................................L22 (dark brown)
L3 =...................................L2 (grey)

After all the above wiring all lights are working however the switch near the back door that feeds the lights in the living room when you switch it on it flickers the lights but wont turn them off and on. The light switch just inside the door is working fine. The outside light is working fine. You just cant switch the living room light on and off with the switch near the back door. It seems like one of the wires may be in the wrong place but not sure which one as its only the light brown wire and double light brown wire X2.

Mr White
Project Manager
Project Manager

by Mr White » Thu Nov 16, 2023 12:11 pm

You have no means of testing, I am not there, I have tried to help you based on the information given, you will need to call an electrician to physically check for the error. Or you could put the old switch back. (And in future, don't buy switches with odd terminal locations from Amazon.) smiley face

billy2608
Apprentice
Apprentice

by billy2608 » Thu Nov 16, 2023 12:49 pm

Thank you so much. You have really helped me so much as I would be lost without your help. I will contact an electrician to assist. Thank you again.

15 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 7:02 am