Possible frost damage due to internal insulation
Brickwork, drystone walling, render are a few subjects covered here. Click here to post questions and get answers

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
PBSpears
Labourer
Labourer

Possible frost damage due to internal insulation

by PBSpears » Mon Nov 27, 2023 3:15 pm

Hello,
I'm considering internal insulation on our solid brick wall Victorian house. My biggest unresolved concern is the possibility that lowering the temperature of the walls will cause frost damage to the brickwork. The bottom metre of about half the house is rendered and I suspect that is covering frost damaged bricks that were wet due to rising damp. The remainder of the brickwork is in good condition with only a handful of bricks damaged. Are there any brick experts in the UK who advise? In the US you can get "frost dilatory" tests done, but I don't know of anything like that here. Do architects know about this stuff?
Thanks

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Possible frost damage due to internal insulation

by stoneyboy » Tue Nov 28, 2023 10:20 pm

Hi pbspears,
It’s very unlikely that insulating the inside of an external wall will have any effect on the temperature of the external face resulting in spalling of the bricks. You should however, be more concerned about how to stop internal damp air condensing on the colder internal face behind the insulation.
Regards S

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon Jun 24, 2024 2:23 pm