Concrete on copper pipes - how big a problem?
Information, help and advice on many gas related subjects from gas fires to domestic appliances

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
GerryP69
Labourer
Labourer

Concrete on copper pipes - how big a problem?

by GerryP69 » Thu Jan 11, 2024 8:51 am

Last year I had remedial work done to stop water penetrating the foundations. Aggregate was topped with damp coursing and then concrete. That worked fine, but it was a massive disruption.
However I had a gas fitter in at the weekend who looked under the floor hatch. He saw concrete had been poured in and said some had spilled on to the pipes. He said that concrete could corrode copper but didn't say the pipes needed to be replaced.
Can anyone advise what to do here? I've just finished putting new flooring down and really don't want to be taking them up again.

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Concrete on copper pipes - how big a problem?

by stoneyboy » Sat Jan 13, 2024 10:58 pm

Hi gerryp69,
If it’s concrete laying on the copper pipe you will probably do more damage than good removing it. It is unlikely that you will have a problem for 20-30 years if the pipes are in a ventilated dry area. If the pipes go through a fixed lump of concrete you should remedy this.
Regards S

GerryP69
Labourer
Labourer

Re: Concrete on copper pipes - how big a problem?

by GerryP69 » Sun Jan 14, 2024 10:17 am

stoneyboy wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2024 10:58 pm Hi gerryp69,
If it’s concrete laying on the copper pipe you will probably do more damage than good removing it. It is unlikely that you will have a problem for 20-30 years if the pipes are in a ventilated dry area. If the pipes go through a fixed lump of concrete you should remedy this.
Regards S
That's good news - thanks for getting back to me. Cheers.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 7:31 am