Smart Switch Wiring in Old House
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

10 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Bossmanuk
Apprentice
Apprentice

Smart Switch Wiring in Old House

by Bossmanuk » Tue Jan 30, 2024 10:23 am

Hi Everyone,
I am trying to install some smart switches for my mum who suffers from Dementia. I will include some photos of the old wiring and I will include an image of the back of the smart switch (Tapo S220 Smart Light Switch, 2-Gang 1-Way).

The old wiring is a bit confusing as it has 6+ wires for lights on 2 different floors.

Thanks

Bossmanuk
Attachments
Back of Smart Switch
Back of Smart Switch
Bottom of light switch
Bottom of light switch
Top of light switch
Top of light switch
Top of light switch
Top of light switch

Mr White
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Smart Switch Wiring in Old House

by Mr White » Tue Jan 30, 2024 4:22 pm

The reason you have 6 wires (and earth) is because it is 2 way switching. That means you can turn a light on here, go elsewhere and turn the same light off (Upstairs and downstairs?) It needs that number of wires to work.

If you are going to have a smart switch have you considered that you should have a "voice assistant" (Easier to ask than to switch on a smart phone, find the app and move the slider) you will need at least two if you only have one smart switch, one for upstairs and one for downstairs (unless you like shouting) The switch you suggest will also need a hub (Not sure if you know that, you will also need an internet connection for the hub)

All that aside, you are going to need a deeper back box for a smart switch as it will not fit in the one you currently have, you can get spacers but that makes the switch protrude considerably from the wall.

As for the wiring there is no standard U.K. wiring colour code for lights, so you will need to test the cables to establish which one does what, and also to remove the redundant ones as they will not be required with a smart switch.

Bossmanuk
Apprentice
Apprentice

by Bossmanuk » Tue Jan 30, 2024 4:55 pm

Thank you for your response, I have internet, hub and even the new back boxes. I have purchased a voltage detector/multimeter to help test the cables but just need to know how I differentiate the cables and which ones are needed for the smart switch.

I am assuming I only cut the power when I am removing the cables etc, I would like the new 2 gang to work the same as the old one with one switch for the upstairs light and the second switch for the ground floor light.

Just need a quick guide to what cables I am looking for and where in the 3 holes they need to go from the image attached.
Mr White wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 4:22 pm The reason you have 6 wires (and earth) is because it is 2 way switching. That means you can turn a light on here, go elsewhere and turn the same light off (Upstairs and downstairs?) It needs that number of wires to work.

If you are going to have a smart switch have you considered that you should have a "voice assistant" (Easier to ask than to switch on a smart phone, find the app and move the slider) you will need at least two if you only have one smart switch, one for upstairs and one for downstairs (unless you like shouting) The switch you suggest will also need a hub (Not sure if you know that, you will also need an internet connection for the hub)

All that aside, you are going to need a deeper back box for a smart switch as it will not fit in the one you currently have, you can get spacers but that makes the switch protrude considerably from the wall.

As for the wiring there is no standard U.K. wiring colour code for lights, so you will need to test the cables to establish which one does what, and also to remove the redundant ones as they will not be required with a smart switch.

ericmark
Project Manager
Project Manager

by ericmark » Wed Jan 31, 2024 12:57 am

If we consider you have a master and slave switch, it would seem your showing the master, so the other switch of the pair with have two wires in two out of three terminals so the wire on it's own likely goes to Com and will no longer be required, and the two cables with it also no longer required, so likely that will leave you with just a pair of wires black and red.

However the switch you have uses one line in for two lines out, so both switches will use same line in.

So you will need to do some careful testing. I have considered using a non stainless back plate, or sticking on the pad which comes with the remote, and setting up two way switching using the round battery powered remote button. which works with those switches, but my mum also suffered from Dementia. And what I am not sure about is if she could work out what to do with a push button? I know the dusk and dawn features are good with those switches, so lights could auto switch on, but not sure really how smart switches would help?

I use a smart relay for my landing light, and it retains the original switches, but with Nest Mini's it also add voice control. In my case there was loads of room inside the lamp, but could hide a box with it in, means the switches are extra low voltage, and you get best of both, original switches and can use timers etc. Although one I have used does not have dusk and dawn like the switch does.
Attachments
DSC_6061r.jpg

Bossmanuk
Apprentice
Apprentice

by Bossmanuk » Fri Feb 02, 2024 9:46 am

Hi ericmark,
Thank you for your reply, I am planning to setup sensors so mum does not even need to think about it to be honest. I have a total of 3 smart switches, two singles for upstairs and lower ground and a double for ground floor. I have attached some images for the upstairs light switch as well.

So, the magical question is when testing the wires am I looking for live only or something else? I will be cutting the power at the fuse box, so I am assuming nothing will be coming through to test? I will need to test while power is on before switching it off?

What I am trying to work out is what am I testing for to identify the correct cables to connect to the smart switch.

ericmark wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 12:57 am If we consider you have a master and slave switch, it would seem your showing the master, so the other switch of the pair with have two wires in two out of three terminals so the wire on it's own likely goes to Com and will no longer be required, and the two cables with it also no longer required, so likely that will leave you with just a pair of wires black and red.

However the switch you have uses one line in for two lines out, so both switches will use same line in.

So you will need to do some careful testing. I have considered using a non stainless back plate, or sticking on the pad which comes with the remote, and setting up two way switching using the round battery powered remote button. which works with those switches, but my mum also suffered from Dementia. And what I am not sure about is if she could work out what to do with a push button? I know the dusk and dawn features are good with those switches, so lights could auto switch on, but not sure really how smart switches would help?

I use a smart relay for my landing light, and it retains the original switches, but with Nest Mini's it also add voice control. In my case there was loads of room inside the lamp, but could hide a box with it in, means the switches are extra low voltage, and you get best of both, original switches and can use timers etc. Although one I have used does not have dusk and dawn like the switch does.
Attachments
IMG_20240130_144104.jpg
IMG_20240130_144046.jpg
IMG_20240130_144014.jpg

ericmark
Project Manager
Project Manager

by ericmark » Fri Feb 02, 2024 1:17 pm

The switch you show has two cables, red and black, and red, yellow, blue. It is likely the red and black are switch wires from lamp, and that the red, yellow, blue go to the other switch.

So red, yellow, blue into a block connector so can be reused latter, and red and black to the new switch, may be easier to fit a twin back box (not double) and a blanking plate on the second void so you have some where to part the wires, as your going to struggle getting all those wires in the back box with the larger switch, or use a spacer plate. Remember if using spacers also get some new longer 3.5 mm screws, I know you get 4 with the switch, but they are not extra long, can't remember which pair are 3.5 mm.

A wango connector likely takes up less room.

I use the push button, but not looked at other TP-link controls. I note the motion detector, but not tried using one. Would like to know more. I have used simple time, so at dusk the lights switch on, and if not switched off by 1 pm they auto switch off. I use Nest Mini's so if they switch off while still up, easy enough to say hey google turn on living room lights, but not sure if my mother could have done that.

Every so often google gets it wrong, some times it is like a mischievous little boy, had it turn off lights, then ask for it to turn back on, and get sorry don't know how to do that yet etc. It now does seem to do it a lot less, but not sure how my mother would have dealt with it? But at £14 the motion detector does seem a good idea.

Bossmanuk
Apprentice
Apprentice

by Bossmanuk » Fri Feb 02, 2024 3:18 pm

Thank you,
I have managed to fit one back box in today but it was too much hard work and have two more to fit. They are sitting on top of a wooden beam and screwed into it, I need to find a quick and easy way to shave down the beam to fit the new boxes.

Any ideas of what could fit in that small hole and shave down the beam to fit the new boxes?

I won’t be able to fit twin back boxes, unfortunately, so will need a solution for the double. A spacer plate can work, so I will pick up some of those as well. As soon as I have fitted them and got them up and running I will update you on the sensor use 100%.

ericmark wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 1:17 pm The switch you show has two cables, red and black, and red, yellow, blue. It is likely the red and black are switch wires from lamp, and that the red, yellow, blue go to the other switch.

So red, yellow, blue into a block connector so can be reused latter, and red and black to the new switch, may be easier to fit a twin back box (not double) and a blanking plate on the second void so you have some where to part the wires, as your going to struggle getting all those wires in the back box with the larger switch, or use a spacer plate. Remember if using spacers also get some new longer 3.5 mm screws, I know you get 4 with the switch, but they are not extra long, can't remember which pair are 3.5 mm.

A wango connector likely takes up less room.

I use the push button, but not looked at other TP-link controls. I note the motion detector, but not tried using one. Would like to know more. I have used simple time, so at dusk the lights switch on, and if not switched off by 1 pm they auto switch off. I use Nest Mini's so if they switch off while still up, easy enough to say hey google turn on living room lights, but not sure if my mother could have done that.

Every so often google gets it wrong, some times it is like a mischievous little boy, had it turn off lights, then ask for it to turn back on, and get sorry don't know how to do that yet etc. It now does seem to do it a lot less, but not sure how my mother would have dealt with it? But at £14 the motion detector does seem a good idea.

ericmark
Project Manager
Project Manager

by ericmark » Fri Feb 02, 2024 6:23 pm

Hole saw? The proper tool is like a hole saw with a knife which goes around it, but designed for plaster and brick not wood.

Bossmanuk
Apprentice
Apprentice

by Bossmanuk » Mon Feb 05, 2024 3:31 pm

ericmark wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 6:23 pm Hole saw? The proper tool is like a hole saw with a knife which goes around it, but designed for plaster and brick not wood.

Hmmmmm, not sure that would work. I was thinking maybe some type of circular sander drill bit with a really rough edge to sand down the wood maybe or something similar to that?

Someone mentioned an oscillating multi-tool but I think the hole size is not all that big etc. I am not a builder by any means but I don't want something too sharp to end up cutting through the power cables!

ericmark
Project Manager
Project Manager

by ericmark » Tue Feb 06, 2024 1:50 pm

I have used wood chisel in the main, but today yes the multi tool is likely the answer. I got a set of bits from little which I have used as the central point does not stick out much, but still need a chisel to finish it off, so in the main use spacier,

10 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Wed May 01, 2024 3:27 am