Installing Touch light switches on 3-way and 4-way circuit
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Quake
Labourer
Labourer

Installing Touch light switches on 3-way and 4-way circuit

by Quake » Fri Feb 16, 2024 11:14 am

Hello,

I'm replacing standard light switches in my hall and landing with touch switches (not smart) from Amazon; Touch Electrical Light Wall Switch - LIVOLO 2023 New Version 1 Gang 3 Way Modern Tempered Glass Panel Single Pole Electrical Lamp Switch with Led Indicator No Neutral. My hall is wired with a 3-way switch circuit, controlling the light from 3 locations, and the landing circuit is 4-way, with a pair of lights switched from any of 4 locations. I have verified with the electrician and circuits are standard (2004 build) as shown in the attachment (4-way example). And the back of the touch switches are as in the other attachment, Livolo 3-way.

For normal light switches the replacement is simple using a couple of 2-way switches and then a number of intermediates as required per circuit, but there does not seem to be an equivalent setup in the touch switch world. I found the LIVOLO's advertised on Amazon as 3-way but will these meet my requirements and would I simple purchase 4 of them for the 4-way requirement for my electrician to fit?
If not, what will work to replace a 3-way and 4-way circuit (one of the switches is a 2-gang common to both circuits) with touch switches?

Thanks in advance.
Attachments
Livolo 3-way.PNG
Intermediate-switch-circuit-.png

Mr White
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Installing Touch light switches on 3-way and 4-way circuit

by Mr White » Fri Feb 16, 2024 8:26 pm

Quake wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 11:14 amwill these meet my requirements and would I simple purchase 4 of them for the 4-way requirement for my electrician to fit?
My guess would be they will be no use to you. The "problem" I have is there is no technical drawing for them, so it is not possible to be precise. I also note they work best (Probably only work) if the lamp(s) they are to control are over 5 watts. I also do not see the point in changing to these as if they do work, they can only turn a light on or off, which is what you already have. To use any "smart facility" you have to buy their "hub" (more money) Also I have yet to see a "smart switch" that can be a direct replacement for 2 way (or more) switching, those that do exist use a Master / slave combination. (Something not mentioned with this brand)

I would suggest you call the technical dept, and ask them if you want the definitive answer.

Quake
Labourer
Labourer

by Quake » Sat Feb 17, 2024 11:21 am

Mr White wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 8:26 pm
Quake wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 11:14 amwill these meet my requirements and would I simple purchase 4 of them for the 4-way requirement for my electrician to fit?
My guess would be they will be no use to you. The "problem" I have is there is no technical drawing for them, so it is not possible to be precise. I also note they work best (Probably only work) if the lamp(s) they are to control are over 5 watts. I also do not see the point in changing to these as if they do work, they can only turn a light on or off, which is what you already have. To use any "smart facility" you have to buy their "hub" (more money) Also I have yet to see a "smart switch" that can be a direct replacement for 2 way (or more) switching, those that do exist use a Master / slave combination. (Something not mentioned with this brand)

I would suggest you call the technical dept, and ask them if you want the definitive answer.
I found on their website they have a single or double gang 4-way Remote switch, I think that is what I need. From their site "You can easily connect the Livolo remote 4 Way switches to 1, 2 or 3 normal touch 2 Way switches. You only need to have 1 remote 4 Way switch in a 4 Way circuit." So I can grab one of these with the load connected and then the rest are their 2-way switches. I don't need nor want smart function, just replacement for mechanical light switches with an LED lit touch variant because I have already done that in other rooms with 1-way versions and trying to tie it all in aesthetically. The only challenge is working out which cores to repurpose from the current circuits and how the 2-gang 4-way remote will be able to bridge my 4-way and 3-way circuits for control of the upstairs and downstairs from foot of stairs 2-gang location.

ericmark
Project Manager
Project Manager

by ericmark » Sat Feb 17, 2024 2:52 pm

1 way = on/off, 2 way = either/or, traffic lights green or red, 3 way = one of three options so could be used with traffic lights for example red, amber, green. So a three way switch has three positions, normally you will turn a knob. So 4 way could be off, red, amber or green.

So when I see a switch advertised as three way, alarm bells ring. Clearly the person writing the advert does not know what they are selling.

The wiring diagram is unusual, and it seems you have a master and slave, master has three wires, and slave only two, could be quite handy were there are two wire strappers between two switches rather than the normal three.

However the switches need power, and the only way they can get power is through the bulb. My Energenie switches are the same, but with Energenie the slave is not the same type of switch to the master. Normally sold as pairs.

The two way switch wiring you show with the four switches was how we were taught at school, however this leaves a wire needing a connector going through the switch, so in the main wired like shown in real life, so end switches do not need a connector block although the intermediates will.

I have tried to make a picture of how it should be wired. I don't find this forum good for posting pictures so crossing fingers.
Attachments
Livolo two way.jpg
two-way-real.jpg
two-way-real.jpg (47.51 KiB) Viewed 30 times

ericmark
Project Manager
Project Manager

by ericmark » Sat Feb 17, 2024 2:55 pm

It seems to have posted OK maybe Mr White will give it a look over, my problem is this means 4 switches need to be powered by current through the bulb, so may get a problem with bulb staying on dim, and the diagram is only my best guess, I have no way to test it.

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sun Apr 21, 2024 2:28 pm