Am I able to cover up a cracked internal window sill?
Re-generate an old or tired space and give it a fresh breath of life. Click here for answers, information and tips

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
jonlondone17
Labourer
Labourer

Am I able to cover up a cracked internal window sill?

by jonlondone17 » Sat Apr 13, 2024 2:49 pm

Hi everyone

I have a PVC window sill in the front room which is hollow inside and has become cracked along the top surface as per the attached photograph.

I'd like to cover this rather than tear it out and replace it, and I've seen products for this purpose available from companies such as Eurocell.

However, the window sill narrows in the centre where the wall is, and then goes back to it's normal size after the wall (as per the second photograph). Therefore, I don't think the Eurocell product would work in this case. Each "long" part of the cill is roughly 40” long x 4” deep with a 9” centre piece where the wall is (101.6cm x 10.16cm with 22.86cm centre piece)

Could anyone provide me with any help or ideas on how I can achieve my aims, or point me in the right direction of any relevent products?

Many thanks,
Jon
Attachments
rsz_1rsz_1window_cill.png

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Am I able to cover up a cracked internal window sill?

by stoneyboy » Sun Apr 14, 2024 10:25 pm

Hi jonlondone17,
You could buy a length of upvc capping board and fit this on top of the existing cill. You will have to do some careful cutting and the front edge will have a corner rather than a rounded edge. Use silicone mastic to hide the join and to stick the cover board down.
Regards S

jonlondone17
Labourer
Labourer

Re: Am I able to cover up a cracked internal window sill?

by jonlondone17 » Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:49 am

stoneyboy wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 10:25 pm Hi jonlondone17,
You could buy a length of upvc capping board and fit this on top of the existing cill. You will have to do some careful cutting and the front edge will have a corner rather than a rounded edge. Use silicone mastic to hide the join and to stick the cover board down.
Regards S
Hello Stoneyboy

Thanks so much for your reply. I'll give it a try!

Best wishes
Jon

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon Jun 24, 2024 2:45 pm