Stud wall / insulating around box
Re-generate an old or tired space and give it a fresh breath of life. Click here for answers, information and tips

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
TimC93
Labourer
Labourer

Stud wall / insulating around box

by TimC93 » Mon Jun 17, 2024 5:25 pm

I'm not expert - but tried to mockup my garage conversion. I'm going to get a sparky in to do some electrics, but ideally don't want to move the fusebox or change much if possible.

I was going to do the work first before he comes, but getting a bit stuck around the plans for studding above where the window is going to go.

I'm a DIYer but not done much internals before, but keen to learn!

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Stud wall / insulating around box

by stoneyboy » Wed Jun 19, 2024 10:41 pm

Hi Timc93,
Add a piece of you 4x2 on top of the two vertical studs either side of the proposed window, then add further vertical studs on this and up to a horizontal ceiling stud. The short vertical studs will be inset to allow for the consumer unit and the soil pipe.
Regards S

TimC93
Labourer
Labourer

by TimC93 » Wed Jun 19, 2024 11:08 pm

stoneyboy wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2024 10:41 pm
Hi Timc93,
Add a piece of you 4x2 on top of the two vertical studs either side of the proposed window, then add further vertical studs on this and up to a horizontal ceiling stud. The short vertical studs will be inset to allow for the consumer unit and the soil pipe.
Regards S
Thanks. What would you suggest with the gas pipe that is running horizontally on the main wall?

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

by stoneyboy » Thu Jun 20, 2024 10:37 pm

Hi tinc93,
From your question I assume the pipe in the right top of your photo is a flue pipe. It’s most likely to be a twin walled flue but you need to check with whoever services your boiler that it’s ok to box it in. If you get the ok use plasterboard not plywood.
Regards S

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Wed Oct 23, 2024 3:36 pm