Wall height
All manner of questions and solutions to problems and issues surrounding the subject of brickwork, blockwork and stonework

9 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Jintynut
Apprentice
Apprentice

Wall height

by Jintynut » Mon Jul 08, 2024 11:18 am

I have raise a concrete wall 225mm with more concrete recommended 12mm rebar at 450 centers, that will require 100+ holes 125mm deep to grout in. I couldn't drill a tenth of that what be the best way of doing it mechanically assisted?

Bert

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Wall height

by stoneyboy » Wed Jul 10, 2024 10:29 pm

Hi jintynut,
You will have to use a good quality drill and drill bit.. I’d suggest Hilti but there may be others so try hiring one..
Regards S

Jintynut
Apprentice
Apprentice

by Jintynut » Fri Jul 12, 2024 9:43 am

stoneyboy wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2024 10:29 pm
Hi jintynut,
You will have to use a good quality drill and drill bit.. I’d suggest Hilti but there may be others so try hiring one..
Regards S
That is what I want avoid, i would find it physically tough doing that many holes I am of a certain age. I've thought of a solution, obtaining a cheap still stand, mount a drill with the standard 63mm collar and mount that to a 1meter by 150mm X 6mm steel plate put a large hole in it turn the drill stand through 180 degrees so that you can drill through the hole put that on top of the wall so you can sit on it and hammer in the drill. I wonder it there is a hireable item to do that. Thanks

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

by stoneyboy » Mon Jul 15, 2024 10:15 pm

Hi jintynut,
I don’t think your proposal will work because the drill stand action will just lift the whole assembly as you try to drill a hole.
Regards S

Jintynut
Apprentice
Apprentice

by Jintynut » Tue Jul 16, 2024 4:10 pm

stoneyboy wrote:
Mon Jul 15, 2024 10:15 pm
Hi jintynut,
I don’t think your proposal will work because the drill stand action will just lift the whole assembly as you try to drill a hole.
Regards S
The drill stand is fixed to the 1m x 150mm plate mechanically at one end, the pivot point is at the end of the plate away from the stand your sitting on the plate between the stand and the pivot point could the drill really lift your weight, the plate could be made longer making more a of mechanical disadvantage to the drill lifting.

Bert

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

by stoneyboy » Wed Jul 17, 2024 10:40 pm

Hi jintynut,
Thanks for the reply - I can now envisage what you propose but I think you are making it over complicated and expensive. Try hiring a Hilti drill and bit for just one day and see how easy it is, or not as the case may be.
I hope you don’t mind me asking but why do you need to reinforce the top 225mm of a wall?
Regards S

Jintynut
Apprentice
Apprentice

by Jintynut » Thu Jul 18, 2024 1:52 pm

stoneyboy wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2024 10:40 pm
Hi jintynut,
Thanks for the reply - I can now envisage what you propose but I think you are making it over complicated and expensive. Try hiring a Hilti drill and bit for just one day and see how easy it is, or not as the case may be.
I hope you don’t mind me asking but why do you need to reinforce the top 225mm of a wall?
Regards S

The 225mm of this wall is an ICF exterior wall of a house left low by a previous contractor, part of it is a retaining wall, I have 110 holes 150 deep set at 450 intervals. Last year i did my back in previous years I've done a shoulder, I'm not willing to risk either again. I can hire a Hilti, I can buy a drill but then I've got to hire a man who 'works out' that's where it gets expensive for what is a very simple job. It is essential this done due to history of this site.

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

by stoneyboy » Fri Jul 19, 2024 11:01 pm

Hi jintynut,
Sorry to hear you have health issues and will have to employ a contractor.
I suspect that if you try drilling a 14mm hole in the centre concrete core, that you may split it. How about drilling 6.5mm holes, screwing in 100x6mm stainless screws and casting around them.
Regards S

Jintynut
Apprentice
Apprentice

by Jintynut » Sat Jul 20, 2024 12:00 pm

stoneyboy wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2024 11:01 pm
Hi jintynut,
Sorry to hear you have health issues and will have to employ a contractor.
I suspect that if you try drilling a 14mm hole in the centre concrete core, that you may split it. How about drilling 6.5mm holes, screwing in 100x6mm stainless screws and casting around them.
Regards S
I was recommended to drill 13mm holes for 12mm rebar from another contractor but I'm going go for 10mm rebar which I already have and 11mm hole.
It's not complicated to make the tool I have been talking about I'm an engineer, drill stands are cheap around £20 if it breaks just buy another, I don't need them for anything else I have a perfectly good pillar drill in my workshop. I been quoted £96 for a 2m x 1m x 6mm plate from a local supplier if I can't get an offcut, just make the extra into a table. As for my poor health that's engineering.

9 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sun Sep 08, 2024 3:38 am