Fill valve won't stop nor flush - Easy to fix myself?
Drainage and wastage systems and plumbing help, advice and answers

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
scotdiy86
Labourer
Labourer

Fill valve won't stop nor flush - Easy to fix myself?

by scotdiy86 » Mon Aug 12, 2024 3:35 pm

We have a push button toilet that has developed two issues and I'm wondering how easy it would be to do on my own with the right parts rather than calling out a plumber.
I've fixed various things in our home from a shower, oven and even our washing machine so would love to do this myself if it saves me money.

The first issue is that some plastic piece from the flush valve broke off meaning it would just keep letting water flow into the bowl unless you manually push it down.
The second issue is that the fill valve won't stop no matter how much I adjust it, it just fills up till it overflows over and into the flush valve and keeps going untill I manually switch of the flow of water to the cistern.

Thanks in advance

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Fill valve won't stop nor flush - Easy to fix myself?

by stoneyboy » Wed Aug 14, 2024 10:01 pm

Hi scotdiy86,
If you can identify the flush valve manufacturer and get a new valve replacing it is a matter of turning the valve and lifting it out of the mounting boss. The fill valve is best replaced.
Regards S

scotdiy86
Labourer
Labourer

by scotdiy86 » Thu Aug 15, 2024 10:22 am

stoneyboy wrote: Hi scotdiy86,
If you can identify the flush valve manufacturer and get a new valve replacing it is a matter of turning the valve and lifting it out of the mounting boss. The fill valve is best replaced.
Regards S
Thanks, couldn't see a manufacturer but found a flush and fill valve set that is similar to what I had so ended up getting that.

Both are basically drop in replacements and worked just fine, although they do drip a little bit so need to double check i've tightened them enough and any seals but at least I can use my toilet for now.

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

by stoneyboy » Thu Aug 15, 2024 10:22 pm

Hi scotdiy86,
Thanks for updating us - if the fill valve is dripping there may be debris in the valve, if the flush valve is letting by it’s either debris in the seating or it not adjusted height wise.
Regards S

scotdiy86
Labourer
Labourer

by scotdiy86 » Sun Aug 18, 2024 5:56 pm

Both were dripping on the outside of the cistern, small droplets of water at a time so nothing major but enough to need to sort it.

Ended up fiddling with the fill valve to ensure it was getting a proper seal and tightening a bit more than the first time which worked.

As for the flush valve, the pre-attached seal was the right size for our toilet but I cut up the extra one meant for if you had a different size hole, put it on the outside and once all tightened up it seems to have stopped any drips we had.

All now flushes just fine and fills up without issues, sure we don't get quite as much of a fill with the new valve even after adjusting it to the max, though TBH I am not too bothered and more glad it all works now.

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Sep 14, 2024 10:49 pm