Damp on chimney breast 1st floor bedroom
Damp can be a major issue in the home. Find answers to questions or post your own here.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
flipflop808
Labourer
Labourer

Damp on chimney breast 1st floor bedroom

by flipflop808 » Mon Sep 23, 2024 4:52 pm

Hello

Looking for some advice, thank you.

At this time of year when it gets a bit cooler and damp I get patches appear on the chimney breast in my bedroom. They're dark patches on the top of wall, it stops as soon as the heating is used. The radiator is on the chimney breast wall. In the past I've painted over the patches with damp spray. It's a Victorian detached.

The other half of the chimney on the 1st floor shows signs of flaking paint on the ceiling near the loft hatch and minor damp spots on the loft hatch itself.

The chimney is exposed in the loft and there are no signs of roof leakage.

The fireplace in the room below my bedroom is plastered over with an air vent. The fireplace on the ground floor opposite is exposed and not blocked.

Thanks
Attachments
loft2.jpg
loft1.jpg
chimney breast.jpg

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Damp on chimney breast 1st floor bedroom

by stoneyboy » Tue Sep 24, 2024 11:30 pm

Hi flipflop808,
The most likely cause is condensation forming at the top of the chimney. Warm air will rise up the chimney and when it gets to the cold bricks in the loft condensation will form. Try putting a very thick layer of fibre type insulation over the chimney. It will take many months for any benefit to show.
Regards S

flipflop808
Labourer
Labourer

Re: Damp on chimney breast 1st floor bedroom

by flipflop808 » Fri Sep 27, 2024 9:14 am

Thanks stoneyboy will give that a shot !

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sun Oct 06, 2024 10:13 am