Sealing off a ceiling rose temporarily
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

6 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
tcib
Labourer
Labourer

Sealing off a ceiling rose temporarily

by tcib » Sun Oct 14, 2007 5:58 pm

Hello there...
I'm clever, I just did something wrong so am here for some advice.

I am detaching a hideous light in our living room. For now we don't actually wish to have any ceiling light so the kind man at B&Q said that we could wire in the ceiling wires into a ceiling rose and that would be fine.

There are two wires hanging from ceiling: red and a black.

Wired them in to ceiling rose (no particular order), I think into the Loop section and hey presto - trip switch switched and very quiet bang. So I have obviously done something wrong.

Could someone advise me as to whether:
a) it be safe to do what man in B&Q said. If so,
b) how do I do it correctly then...

Much appreciated

BLAKEY1963
Site Agent
Site Agent

Re: Sealing off a ceiling rose temporarily

by BLAKEY1963 » Mon Oct 15, 2007 1:04 am

[quote="tcib"]Hello there...
I'm clever, I just did something wrong so am here for some advice.

I am detaching a hideous light in our living room. For now we don't actually wish to have any ceiling light so the kind man at B&Q said that we could wire in the ceiling wires into a ceiling rose and that would be fine.

There are two wires hanging from ceiling: red and a black.

Wired them in to ceiling rose (no particular order), I think into the Loop section and hey presto - trip switch switched and very quiet bang. So I have obviously done something wrong.

Could someone advise me as to whether:
a) it be safe to do what man in B&Q said. If so,
b) how do I do it correctly then...

Much appreciated[/quote]

TCIB
THE CEILING ROSE WILL HAVE SEPARATE TERMINALS 4 U TO
PUT YOUR NEUTRAL IN. A LOOP TERMINAL TO PUT YOUR LIVES IN.
IF I ASSUME RIGHTLY U HAVE 2 REDS AND TWO BLACKS.
ONE OF YOUR BLACKS WOULD HAVE BEEN TAGGED RED FOR YOUR SWITCH WIRE.LIVE. ALL YOUR EARTHWIRES WOULD HAVE GREEN AND YELLOW SLEEVING ON AND CONNECT TO THE BRASS EARTHING TERMINAL SET SEPARATE FROM THE REST.
TO TRY TO HELP U FURTHER LOOK UP DOCS PROJECT SECTION ON LIGHTING. THERE R PICTURES THERE FOR YOU FOLLOW.
LIVES , NEUTRALS , AND SWITCH WIRES WOULD B SEPARATE FROM EACH OTHER, AS WOULD THE EARTHWIRES

BLAKEY1963

tcib
Labourer
Labourer

by tcib » Mon Oct 15, 2007 9:34 am

Hi there,

Thanks for your reply.

FYI there are three cables coming out of the ceiling, there's ONE red, ONE black and then ONE which is currently taped up. Don't know if that changes things much with regards to what you said.

Apart from that, no other wires are dangling.

shaun007hull
Labourer
Labourer

by shaun007hull » Mon Oct 15, 2007 10:35 am

ok pal,
Red will be Switched live and the black will be neutral the other will be earth they should all go in seperate terminals in your cieling rose. there should be 3 in the middle and 2 on each end at this point it dosn't really matter which they go in as long as the're seperate.
when you want a new fitting putting up may i suggest using a professional. pull your lighting fuse in the consumer unit to isolate the juice on that circuit.

BLAKEY1963
Site Agent
Site Agent

by BLAKEY1963 » Mon Oct 15, 2007 5:36 pm

[quote="tcib"]Hi there,

Thanks for your reply.

FYI there are three cables coming out of the ceiling, there's ONE red, ONE black and then ONE which is currently taped up. Don't know if that changes things much with regards to what you said.

Apart from that, no other wires are dangling.[/quote]

TCIB
OKAY IF THE WIRE TAPED UP WAS LIKE THAT WHEN U TOOK
LIGHT UNIT DOWN, THEN LEAVE IT AS IS.
YOUR REMAINING WIRES IF I FOLLOW U CORRECTLY R RED WHICH COULD BE LIVE SWITCH WIRE AND GOES INTO SWITCH WIRE
SIDE OF CEILING ROSE ( TWO TERMINALS ) , AND BLACK SHOULD B
YOUR NEUTRAL CONNECTION WHICH GOES ONTO OTHER SIDE OF CEILING ROSE ( END 3 TERMINALS )

BLAKEY1963

tcib
Labourer
Labourer

by tcib » Wed Oct 17, 2007 9:10 am

Thank you one and all for the your help and courtesy.
Have only just seen these replies as for some reason I never got further emails to advise of the posting.

Will try it later on today.

Again, many thanks.

6 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu May 09, 2024 7:03 am