laying oak T +G BOARDS..what saw??
Help, advice, information, answers and tips on all types of flooring from laminate and carpet to timber and vinyl

6 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
mikeyg47
Labourer
Labourer

laying oak T +G BOARDS..what saw??

by mikeyg47 » Mon Oct 08, 2007 5:34 pm

Hi guys,

I have been asked to do a project and was wondering if you could offer some help....?

The client is having a plywood sub base put down on to a concrete base, 1st question is whats the best thing to fix the plywood down with and do I leave it 10mm short of the walls to allow expansion? whats the best gauge plywood I would need?

Then they want oak tongue and groove boards fitted..I am going to hire a nailer that blind nails the boards but wondered what saw would be best to cut the boards? I am going to have to cut lengths and curves..but dont want to have to buy loads of things for this one project??

I know I leave these 10mm short of the walls to allow expansion but at what point do you change from blind nailing to face nailing?

Any help would be great.

Thanks

Mike

mikeyg47
Labourer
Labourer

by mikeyg47 » Mon Oct 15, 2007 6:53 pm

How can 129 people view the post and no one comment..I thought this was a site meant to help people?? Maybe I am wrong..thanks...for nothing!

foxxyladyfour
Labourer
Labourer

I also would like to know which saw

by foxxyladyfour » Tue Oct 16, 2007 12:44 pm

I am sorry I dont know the answer to your prob , as I too need to know which saw (actyally I need to know everything there is to know about laying laminate flooring). But I thought I would reply just so u wouldnt think I had looked and not bothered to reply! If you have in the meantime found out which saw to use I would very much appreciate it if you could let me know too please?
Many thanx

Crofty999
Labourer
Labourer

by Crofty999 » Wed Oct 17, 2007 10:47 pm

I was hoping to see an answer to this as I have tackled a similar project in the past and was not sure if I had used the correct saw. The one observation I would make is that the quality of the saw made very little difference to how quickly it became blunt. In the absence of anything more helpful, I would suggest a very cheap 24 point handsaw.

charlie24
Labourer
Labourer

by charlie24 » Fri Oct 19, 2007 11:29 pm

Depending on condition of concrete floor (i.e totally flat) you could lay a damp proof membrane and have a floating floor, glue joints rather than nail. As for cutting i would use bosch hardwood jigsaw blades (available from screwfix) and a good quality jigsaw.

Good Luck!

blues brothers
Labourer
Labourer

laying plywood to concrete floor prior to hard wood floor.

by blues brothers » Thu Jan 03, 2008 4:37 am

Mikeyg47--- I only joined today so I hope what I say may be of some help to you. I agree with Charlie 24 lay membrane and then a floating
floor.,but I would use the standard chip board treated floor boarding (8ft-2ft) glued at the joints and laid with expansion gap, this will then allow you to use a nail gun to secret nail the H/W boards. You would need a
jig saw and you can get every blade you will need.You can hire the tools
you will require. I live in Bishop Auckland County Durham I have just retired as I 'am 65 years old. I own every joiners tool in the book, so if you live any where near me I will give you a hand.

Best regards B.B.

6 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Sep 20, 2024 12:44 am