Batten centres
Information, help and tips on many areas of roofing including trusses, tiling, venting, insulation etc....

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
greengrass
Foreman
Foreman

Batten centres

Post by greengrass » Sat Mar 31, 2007 12:59 am

How do you you work out the distance between centres of roof tile battens using 265mm x 165 mm clay tiles? [Future garage roof for friends house to match the house roof ]
Also same for Concrete Interlocking 420mm x 330mm. on my porch.
masona and noseall answered my last ones on porch roof rafters but I forgot to mention this. :oops: Doh!!!.

Thanks Greengrass

thedoctor

Post by thedoctor » Sat Mar 31, 2007 7:28 am

Hi Greengrass, how are you?

The batten centres are based on the required lap of the top tile over the one beneath it and in the case of "plaintiles" ie the small clay ones, the lap must be a minimum of 4 inches. The usual batten space is 4 inches with the first batten (nearest the facia) going on at 5.5 inches from the top front edge of the facia to give the best overhang into the gutter. The eaves batten goes under the first tile batten with 25mm (1inch) between the underside of the first tile batten to the top of the eaves batten.

With the large interlocking tiles the lap is a minimum of 3 inches, 75mm, in most cases and the batten spacing is usually somewhere between 12 and 13 inches with an overhang to suit going into the gutter. Its the lap that is important and its better to have an extra course than to try and "stretch" the tiles. The shallower the pitch, the greater the lap....Doc

greengrass
Foreman
Foreman

Post by greengrass » Sat Mar 31, 2007 8:07 pm

[quote="thedoctor"]Hi Greengrass, how are you?

The batten centres are based on the required lap of the top tile over the one beneath it and in the case of "plaintiles" ie the small clay ones, the lap must be a minimum of 4 inches. The usual batten space is 4 inches with the first batten (nearest the facia) going on at 5.5 inches from the top front edge of the facia to give the best overhang into the gutter. The eaves batten goes under the first tile batten with 25mm (1inch) between the underside of the first tile batten to the top of the eaves batten.

With the large interlocking tiles the lap is a minimum of 3 inches, 75mm, in most cases and the batten spacing is usually somewhere between 12 and 13 inches with an overhang to suit going into the gutter. Its the lap that is important and its better to have an extra course than to try and "stretch" the tiles. The shallower the pitch, the greater the lap....Doc[/quote]

Fine Doc! how are you? I'm off to Devon but will be looking in on my daughters computer. Thanks for the info. Have pasted another forgot about flashing and soakers question.
Greengrass.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:53 am