Responsiblity for roof water run off
Information, help and tips on many areas of roofing including trusses, tiling, venting, insulation etc....

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
mikemolloy425
Labourer
Labourer

Responsiblity for roof water run off

by mikemolloy425 » Fri Oct 05, 2007 1:09 pm

I live in an old terraced house and have the only downpipes (front and rear) for my guttering, the house next door and half of the pub next to that! I wish to know if I can seperate my guttering from the rest ( giving an appropriate warning to the neighbours ) as my downpipes cannot cope with heavy rain causing damp in my property

LCL
Ganger
Ganger

by LCL » Fri Oct 05, 2007 8:04 pm

mike

Interesting issue you have here.

In a similar way to drainage, your neighbours are likely to have a easement to allow their storm water to flow into your guttering for dishcarge. as a rule of thumb a standard uPVC rain water pipe can handle up to a 50sqm roof. I think you could run into trouble if you do anything that interupts to flow of water and causes problems to your neightbour properties. Few suggestions:

1. Speak to your neightbours. Explain the problem and see if one of them will accommodate a rain water pipe in their land. The guttering may need to be altered to re-direct flows. Obviously raise the issue of shared costs?

2. Above is likely to go down like a lead balloon, so I suggest replacing your guttering with a deep flow (which has a greater capacity) and think about increasing the size of the down pipes.

Hope this helps

LCL

mikemolloy425
Labourer
Labourer

by mikemolloy425 » Tue Oct 09, 2007 12:45 pm

Many thanks for the reply, Unfortunately I have tried to persuade several different neighbours over the years to fit another downpipe - to no avail ! the property is in a conservation area and so larger guttering is out. I have had this problem for 20 years, also getting fed up every autumn of cleaning first the leaves from my guttering then everyone elses as they wash down to my downpipes and block them. Cheers Mike

tradeaway
Apprentice
Apprentice

by tradeaway » Tue Oct 16, 2007 10:27 pm

first and foremost, each individual homeowner has an obligation (ground conditions permitting), to drain their storm water upon their own land.

failing this, and without the convenience of a storm drain system, then lie of the land becomes prevalent. if gravity dictates that normal ground water would fall towards your property, then i guess you had better prepare your guttering to better deal with the added influx of the neighbours rainwater.

two drops are better than one. :wink:

mikemolloy425
Labourer
Labourer

by mikemolloy425 » Wed Oct 17, 2007 12:04 pm

Many Thanks Mike

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 5:03 pm