External pipework
All aspects of plumbing questions and answers, help, tips and information

8 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
tcno1
Labourer
Labourer

External pipework

by tcno1 » Sat Oct 27, 2007 3:04 pm

Hi, is it ok to run copper pipe along an outside wall? I need to plumb in a washing machine into a converted garage which has no water supply. The nearest and easiest way to get a hot and cold feed to the washing machine seems to be via a downstairs toilet but it would mean running pipes along an outside wall for about 8 metres. Would this be ok?[/i]

bobplum
Foreman
Foreman

by bobplum » Sat Oct 27, 2007 3:42 pm

yes but they would need to be insulated and preferably boxed in
fit isolating valves in side the house so in the event of problems the pipes can be isolated
as my father used to say,protection son protection?

AndyB
Tradesman
Tradesman

by AndyB » Sat Oct 27, 2007 4:57 pm

No problem running copper pipe outside.If it was me I'd paint it afterwards to match rest of outside waste pipes

tcno1
Labourer
Labourer

by tcno1 » Sun Oct 28, 2007 6:33 pm

[quote="AndyB"]No problem running copper pipe outside.If it was me I'd paint it afterwards to match rest of outside waste pipes[/quote]

But wont I have problems with them freezing?

tcno1
Labourer
Labourer

by tcno1 » Sun Oct 28, 2007 6:35 pm

[quote="bobplum"]yes but they would need to be insulated and preferably boxed in
fit isolating valves in side the house so in the event of problems the pipes can be isolated
as my father used to say,protection son protection?[/quote]

Will normal grey sponge insulation do, if so how thick?

bobplum
Foreman
Foreman

by bobplum » Mon Oct 29, 2007 8:31 pm

ideally you would be better laying the pipes underground using alkteme(i think thats how you spell it) but if the only real option is to run along the wall then yes grey insulation is advisable why not put two layers on
the reason for the isolating valves on the interior of the house is so you can turn off the water and drain the sytem to prevent burst in the cold or if they do burst you can quickly turn off the water

marrtin
Foreman
Foreman

by marrtin » Tue Oct 30, 2007 1:46 pm

Use plastic pipe rather than copper as it's less prone to frost damage. I would think twice about the hot supply though as for that length of run, the machine would be full before the hot water reached it.

Most modern machines these days only have a cold fill as they are considered more energy efficient. Check to see if your machine will work with just the cold connected. Many do.

richieplum
Apprentice
Apprentice

external pipes

by richieplum » Wed Nov 07, 2007 10:07 pm

If you must run pipes externally ( that will carry water ), certainly do not use copper. It is prone to splitting when frozen. Alkathene ( black in colour ) is no longer available, the modern equivalent is medium density poly-ethylene (MDPE ) and is blue in colour. But this requires special fittings. The much better option is JG speedfit or an equivalent which is a direct match with the same size copper. e.g. 15mm copper, 15mm speedfit so the clips are the same as well. The only thing to remember is that the plastic comes with anti-crush liners. Once these are fitted carry on as normal and then lag the pipes to avoid freezing.

8 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sun Sep 29, 2024 12:32 am