Maximum opening sizes for Garage Doors
If you want to know how your DIY projects could be affected by building and planning regulations, click here to post questions and view answers

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Samo
Labourer
Labourer

Maximum opening sizes for Garage Doors

by Samo » Mon Oct 22, 2007 1:45 pm

I have checked building standards technical handbooks for advice on maximum garage door widths and the table for Reg 1.D.32 indicates an 'X' factor value for different circumstances. I have drawings for a double garage (double skin with blockwork, cavity and timber frame) showing two door openings of 2.290m with a 0.660m central pier and two 0.800m piers at both corners of the front elevation. The roof span is 7.0m and is perpendicular to the front wall and although they are attic trusses no storage or living space is shown for the first floor. It would appear from the table that I should use a value for factor 'X' of 9 as shown in column 2 or should it be 5 as shown in column 6?

dents
Apprentice
Apprentice

by dents » Thu Nov 01, 2007 12:38 am

i would say 12" as a guess only if its 2 storeys ,if single storey mininmum 6" to accomadate door fittings to side and 12" middle pillar for ease and depends of building structure.
framed doors need 3" either side if fitted behind brick/blockwork.
ive fitted garage doors for 25 years and know the good the bad and ugly of them on the market .

two storeys get an architect to answer.

dents
Apprentice
Apprentice

by dents » Fri Nov 02, 2007 12:46 am

hi ,ive just read your post again .

what is it you want to know??????

if the x factor is good?

Samo
Labourer
Labourer

by Samo » Tue Nov 06, 2007 2:42 pm

Thanks - Check out the following link to Section 1.D.32: http://www.sbsa.gov.uk/tech_handbooks/tbooks2007.htm.
It explains the sizes of openings and recesses within a wall of a building. The sizes are determined by a factor 'X' which is given in a table within this document. Problem is that the table is not clear. i.e. I am unsure what the factor 'X' should be for my circumstances (I think it should be 9 as there is no upper floor). Any budding building control officers out there?

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1