adding to ring
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

6 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
gary79
Apprentice
Apprentice

adding to ring

by gary79 » Thu Nov 08, 2007 8:31 pm

good eve all, my first post.
so.. .we have a single socket outlet by the bed, which im changing for a double, i also wanted a double the other side of the bed, but have discovered the exhisting socket has already been 'spured' so i cant touch that. the two things i want to know is can i put a junction box on the ring (ovbiously not the spur) to get my new double socket and also how can i find out where the spur goes to. . is it possiible it was put in when the house was buit because theres no sign of it being added afterwards, ie no new plastering no cut floor boards. if i can add a junction box then i dont realy care were it goes. .

stevenc1603
Ganger
Ganger

by stevenc1603 » Fri Nov 09, 2007 10:08 am

Yes you can extend the ring to add an extra socket, and I'm sure there's a project on here that tells you how.

Bear in mind that if your in England/Wales you need a certified part P sparky to do the work for you.

To find out what the spur does you'll either have to trace the cable to see where it goes, or disconnect it at the socket and see what stops working.

gary79
Apprentice
Apprentice

by gary79 » Fri Nov 09, 2007 7:30 pm

oh really, i thought things like that could be done yrself? and as for the socket, its disconected and nothing stopped. . v strange

gary79
Apprentice
Apprentice

by gary79 » Fri Nov 09, 2007 7:40 pm

FOUND IT, goes down stairs to the television, thanx steve

sparx
Project Manager
Project Manager

by sparx » Fri Nov 09, 2007 7:45 pm

Hi Gary, your single could have been taken from a JB or more likely from another skt on ring which will have 3 sets of wires in it.
However as you say if you put a JB in the main ring then no point in tracing it.
BTW this is one of the few instances that do NOT have to be Part-p reported, but presuming old wiring in red/blk. & new in brn/blue it is required to label JB and con. unit with statement warning of mixed system.
As Steven says there is a project on here showing how it's done with a 30A 3 term JB,
regards SPARX

gary79
Apprentice
Apprentice

by gary79 » Fri Nov 09, 2007 8:37 pm

cool thanx for that, i knew you can only have as many spurs as there are sockets does the same go for JB's didnt know i could add one if its been spured. . .slowly learning here

6 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Sep 19, 2024 5:22 pm