Linear Drain (Driveway)
Drainage and wastage systems and plumbing help, advice and answers

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
beadie
Apprentice
Apprentice

Linear Drain (Driveway)

by beadie » Tue Nov 20, 2007 4:04 pm

How much should it cost to have a linear drain installed to an existing drive. I have a problem where the driveway that has been installed to the house (Before I bought it) is chanelling the water back to the house. It has been like this for 10 years since the house was built. I presume eventually this will cause issues with the brick work/mortar?

Having had a quote today it came in at £700 + VAT.

This seems exessive to me.

I just want a channel digging that falls away into and diverts the water into the storm drain and away from the house.

Any advise would be grateful.

peter the plumber
Ganger
Ganger

by peter the plumber » Wed Nov 21, 2007 7:16 am

Digging is never cheap, and the quote seems about right.

I would have a look at your local trading standards web site and get a few more quotes first.

But I have a feeling you can fix this without doing all this work.

If the drain is not carrying household waste or sewage, the simple thing to would be to reverse the gradate with something like clement.

You wouldn’t much, about 1 cm at the high end (house end) and slowing reducing it a long the drain run.

If its only being use for rainwater it should be ok.

beadie
Apprentice
Apprentice

Drainage

by beadie » Wed Nov 21, 2007 10:58 am

I cannot raise the level of the drive as the airbricks are on floor level. If I raise the drive (At the house end) this would block off the air bricks. I understand what you say but am not sure this is an option.

peter the plumber
Ganger
Ganger

by peter the plumber » Thu Nov 22, 2007 8:46 am

You don’t need to change the drive level.

Linear drains are basically a 4-6 inch box design; the gradient is not that much depending on the length of your run.

All you need to is find some way of rising the internal drain gradient away from the house.

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon Jul 01, 2024 6:40 am