question for sparks?
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Jeffmo
Ganger
Ganger

question for sparks?

by Jeffmo » Wed Apr 11, 2007 3:40 pm

Hi sparks am also wondering about retraining in your field , and have seen the courses available , i had my doubts about the short courses myself but have seen a course ie : 16th edition , 2381 , pat testing and domestic installer , this all told takes about a year , is this in your very knowledgable opinion worth the paper its wrote on , i know there is no substitute for experience as i learnt my main trade over 8 yrs in the raf but there must be good possibilities for mature students , especially with all the new regs . appreciate your opinion Cheers once again Jeff ( a keen , willing and able quick learner ) . PS did a composite electrics course when i did my propulsion technician course hopefully this will stand me in good stead, also what do you think the prospects are for all us new boys ?

sparx
Project Manager
Project Manager

by sparx » Wed Apr 11, 2007 11:47 pm

Hi jeff,
the courses that matter are in my humble opinion, 2381 regs , 2391 insp. & test
pat course 2377 is ok but be warned pat testing is over subscribed & cut throat business, we gave up offering service abt. 5 years ago! so many people cutting corners (& prices).
I taught 2330 at local tech. but trouble was you have to be working in the trade to be able to complete course, u can only get nvq lvl 2 without & must get lvl 3 to fully qualify for JIB electrician status.
having said all the above there are plenty of people who get away with calling themselves electrician and so long as u don't do part p work it's legal....
the IEE now called the IET offer short courses which if you then can get work with company will be one way into the best job in the world
try : www.theiet.org/wmcourses for a brochure, loads of maths but I would think that not prob 4u
best regards SPARX

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Wed Jun 26, 2024 10:36 am