All aspects of plumbing questions and answers, help, tips and information

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Warspite
Apprentice
Apprentice

I have to replace a toilet cistern...

by Warspite » Sat Dec 08, 2007 12:04 pm

Hello all.

Would appreciate any help & advice on this.

I have to replace a damaged toilet cistern as the out casing has broken where the flusher arm fits. Although i`t doesn't leak you can only flush it by pulling the lever manually from inside the cistern.

I have read the relevant projects and looked at numerous forum posts but am unable to help myself!

First of all I assume I can replace the cistern without changing the toilet as it is fitted to the wall above the pan and connected by a pipe to it.

The next thing is that I cannot trace where the water inlet pipe comes from. The toilet is downstairs and appears to be connected to the mains supply and has no stop valve?

To take the cistern off will I have to manually drain it (ie by turning off the mains water supply and flushing it?)..

I guess I can then just fit a new cistern and connect it up?

Is it that straight forward?

All hints, tips and advice appreciated!

Thanks in advance of your help.

Andy.

marrtin
Foreman
Foreman

by marrtin » Sat Dec 08, 2007 11:52 pm

Yes you seem to have got the right idea. The low level cistern is easily replaced and is a standard fitting.

It would be a good idea to fit a small service valve in the supply first so you can turn the water back on whilst you are fitting the cistern. Saves any hassle if you get any problems when fitting it. Makes future maintenance jobs easier too.

peter the plumber
Ganger
Ganger

by peter the plumber » Sun Dec 09, 2007 12:11 am

Yes if its crack you need to replace it, but if you’re lucky they may have cistern on its own.

Always ask.

Has for the water pipe you need to drain the whole house down, but when the water is off make sure you fit an isolator on the pipe.

Warspite
Apprentice
Apprentice

by Warspite » Sun Dec 09, 2007 6:13 pm

Thanks guys,

Great advice. I'll let you know if I flood the house!

Just a quick note to say that I went in to a couple of DIY superstores today to try and purchase a low level cistern. Everywhere I went I was told they don't sell seperate cisterns and I would have to buy a complete new toilet. I must admit that B&Q had got a bargain at £60? but I would have thought that a cistern alone would be cheaper. But if nobody sells them!

Anyway, thanks again all.

Appreciate your time and shared knowledge.

Andy.

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Wed Jun 26, 2024 8:14 am