Laminate flooring
Help, advice, information, answers and tips on all types of flooring from laminate and carpet to timber and vinyl

9 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
anne groome
Labourer
Labourer

fitting a laminate floor

by anne groome » Fri Apr 06, 2007 12:37 am

I am a complete novice and I have just tried to laminate a floor with the tile effect, well like you I have found that when I tried to finish it the tiles wouldn't fit in on the last row, when I went back to B and Q to ask for advice they said I hadn't done as instructed. The instructions were small and vague and gave the impression that it was really easy, the instructions didn't mention the last row, just went on to how to maintaqin the floor once you have it down. 'I am now finding that all the joins are coming off from the last row to put in, they are made of flimsy cardboard it seems to me. Why can't the instructions be much more applicable to the pack I bought, why can't they say this is hard and point out the pit falls before you start, why can't they say what is important not wait until you take it back and then blame the customer and expect you to buy a whole lot more to replace what has broken. At least you were able to return the floor, but what a lot of work to find out how hard it is. Why not give more space to instructions that make sense?

dbobber
Labourer
Labourer

new floor

by dbobber » Mon Apr 09, 2007 9:14 am

Oh what a joy it is that I am not alone! I started laying a new laminate floor in my daughter's new room at 5.00 pm Saturday. By 3.00 pm Sunday I was half way across and struggling and it looked awful. My wife took a look at it and decided that we needed to take it ALL up and start again which we did. Between us we finished at midnight. So eventually it took us nine hours almost non stop to lay a fifteen sq. metre floor. I agree that the instructions are minimal to say the least and that they make it sound easy when quite clearly isn't. But what I find ridiculous is that the integral part of the 'click-lock' system is nothig but a flimsy strip of MDF which breaks easily when you tap two strips together using, I might add, the correct tools! If it wasn't for the fact that my younger daghter's room is inter-connected with the first, I would now be considering another form of floor covering.

anne groome
Labourer
Labourer

laminate flooring

by anne groome » Tue Apr 10, 2007 12:04 am

Well, it is greqt to know at least two people who feel the same way about the laminate flooring and diy instructions and customer care. At Band Q I also took back the saw they sold for the job, about half way through the job, 10square metres, the saw seemed to become blunt just as you had to cut out the intricate bits. The manager at the store proceeded to demonstrate that it was sawing perfectly well, however he then let slip that had fitted hundreds of these floors .... I have been looking at my floor since all of this and am deciding whether I should take it up and start again using the bits that were not ruined, I must say that those mdf click in edges are very fragile, where I had to dismantle acouple of times the whole lot fell off, and left nothing to click in to and then the little bits get stuck in the grooves only to cause more porblems and frustration. The man at B and Q said you must use a little brush to get rid of the little bits before you try to fit the pieces together, that is not in the instructions iether, in fact the instruction s don't even mention the bits falling off. The instructions say you can take whole floors up and fit them somewhere else!!! Ive only tried to take up small areas and the whole edges disintegrate without much effort atall. So I now spend time just looking at the floor in the conservatory as the heat rises and the floor expands and wander shall I just fill the gaps with filler and put up with the movement when you walk on it, ot do I start again???? Help!!!!

the2ems
Ganger
Ganger

by the2ems » Wed Apr 11, 2007 7:54 pm

I have recently done 3 floors with laminate flooring from Ikea, and am more than satisfied. It is very reasonably priced, and apart from having to think a bit when doing doorways (not rocket science) have found it really easy. Obviously a few basic DIY skills are needed, like measuring and cutting, but like I said, it aint rocket science.

the2ems
Ganger
Ganger

by the2ems » Wed Apr 11, 2007 7:57 pm

I have recently done 3 floors with laminate flooring from Ikea, and am more than satisfied. It is very reasonably priced, and apart from having to think a bit when doing doorways (not rocket science) have found it really easy. Obviously a few basic DIY skills are needed, like measuring and cutting, but like I said, it aint rocket science.

daveyboy79
Labourer
Labourer

tile effect

by daveyboy79 » Thu Jun 14, 2007 10:43 pm

do you need to stagger the tile effect laminate flooring

know_nothing_help
Labourer
Labourer

laminate over carpet?

by know_nothing_help » Fri Jun 22, 2007 11:47 am

Hello,
i despertely need some advice...
I want to lay a clip together laminate floor over my land lords carpet (i hate carpet) would it work?

what I want to know is:
would laying a clip togther floor damage the carpet (which is old with flat pile)?
How easy woul it be to take it back up when i move out?

is it worth me writing to my land lord and asking him if a long with the picture hooks i can lay a temporary laminate floor to protect his carpet (and create a dance space for me...)

wack
Apprentice
Apprentice

by wack » Fri Jun 22, 2007 8:04 pm

Hi, Do not fit your new laminate floorng on top of the landlords old carpet,as this is to flexable to use as a underlay and will crack the joints when walking or dancing on it.

W
Labourer
Labourer

by W » Thu Jul 19, 2007 7:47 pm

i have a similar issue. vinyl floor in kitchen looks terribly scratched and worn out but landlord refuses to change it. so i'm thinking of putting down laminate over the existing floor. not sure if i should cut ard the edges of the fixed units and scrape off the vinyl then replace with laminate (if I can do that!), or simply lay the laminate over it and likewise, lift it when I leave? i'm a complete novice at this, btw so advice much appreciated!

9 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Sep 20, 2024 4:31 pm