Sticking Honeywell 3-port Valve
Help and information on all topics relating to your central heating, air conditioning and ventilation issues.

6 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
PhilipRman
Labourer
Labourer

Sticking Honeywell 3-port Valve

by PhilipRman » Wed Dec 05, 2007 6:40 pm

My motorised valve keeps sticking in the open position.My cental heating system (Y-type) then needs a new valve every 1-2 years. I have only used a Honeywell 4073 each time it has been replaced. Is there a problem with this valve? Any ideas as to what is causing the problem?

roger196
Ganger
Ganger

by roger196 » Fri Dec 07, 2007 7:53 pm

When the valve was replaced, was only the motor changed?. If so there may be some obstruction in the valve body. Try changing the whole valve.
Has the system been flushed through ( to remove debris) and inhibitor added. Is the inhibitor old and needing replacement.

PhilipRman
Labourer
Labourer

Sticking Honeywell 3-port valve

by PhilipRman » Sat Dec 08, 2007 1:15 pm

Thanks roger196. but whole valve (motor and body replaced each time. System is clean and contains good inhibitor. A sharp tap on valve body quickly releases valve but frequency of sticking increases until it is every time the valve opens. This has happened over the life history of at least 4 valves. ???

muzza
Apprentice
Apprentice

by muzza » Sat Dec 08, 2007 9:23 pm

Has the system been cleaned? Flush the system before adding inhibitor. Is the system fed from a tank or a sealed system?

marrtin
Foreman
Foreman

by marrtin » Sun Dec 09, 2007 12:25 am

Must admit this is a new one on me. The only time I have seen a valve jam in this way is when dealing with too high a pressure and the ball is pushed too deep into the seat. So are we talking about a standard low pressure system or not?

Has any of the damaged valves been stripped? Is there any evidence of damage to the ball?

roger196
Ganger
Ganger

by roger196 » Sun Dec 09, 2007 5:56 pm

Difficult one this. Two possible thoughts.
1 Was the valve actually changed as opposed to you being charged for the change?
2 Is there an intermittent fault in one of the wires to the valve. Likely causes are a break in the wire or a loose connection in the wiring box. If you are OK with electricity, try tightening all connections, otherwise call ina professional. Remember this is mains voltage, so isolate circuit beforehand.

6 posts   •   Page 1 of 1