central heating downstairs rads not working, hot water fine
Help and information on all topics relating to your central heating, air conditioning and ventilation issues.

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
yme
Labourer
Labourer

central heating downstairs rads not working, hot water fine

by yme » Mon Dec 31, 2007 6:11 pm

My central heating has been on reduced holiday setting for a week and my neighbour switched it on for our return. Now we're back, there's hot water but no heating from downstairs rads. (The 3 upstairs ones nearest the pump etc are prob only working/hot because of gravity?) I have an air separator which I've given a bash and it made the pump sound rough. can't do it again or it will leak at its soldered joints. I opened the big screw on pump and the spindle seems to be turning ok, [closed it again] and there's vibration on it so I think it ok. All rads checked and full of water. Expansion tank in loft was 1/2 full but now filled it up. The boiler fires as if all is well. The valve works between the CH and HW and all surrounding pipes to everything except downstairs rads are piping hot. I've tried various combinations to kickstart sytem. Apart from one rad all the rest have individual thermostats and I've tried on or off/upstairs or downstairs. There is one mega single rad in conservatory that's rarely turned on, doesn't have a thermostat and can't be bled but I'm assuming it's full. I turned it on full but didn't make a difference. Often it can cause gurgling when It's switched on after a long absence.
I'd be so grateful for any advice. Thanks

ericmark

by ericmark » Sun Jan 06, 2008 10:43 am

The only thing you don't list as checking is motorized valve do you have one? Is so is it standard one. I know on ones I have looked at there are manual controls really there to assist bleeding the system but if latched on then both central heating and domestic hot water should work together.

I am only guessing of course but latching is easy way to test if that is fault sometimes micro switches burn out.

Eric

htg engineer
Project Manager
Project Manager

by htg engineer » Sun Jan 06, 2008 11:26 am

sre you sure the pump is ok ? sounds as though the pump is the problem.

yme
Labourer
Labourer

by yme » Sun Jan 06, 2008 12:04 pm

[quote="htg engineer"]sre you sure the pump is ok ? sounds as though the pump is the problem.[/quote]
You are totally correct! I checked the motorised valve and it was OK. But the pump although turning and vibrating was the problem. We have replaced it, did a post mortem and found the impeller sheared off inside! Heating now pumping well just hope the boiler is up to it!!
Many thanks!

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1