removing or painting over stained wood
General decorating topics, questions and answers. find help, tips and advice on completing your decorating projects

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Heather
Labourer
Labourer

removing or painting over stained wood

by Heather » Sat Dec 29, 2007 11:52 am

Help, some of the wood surfaces in my flat have been staiined with black stain paint. I'd like to remove this and return the wood to it's original colour either by removing the stain or painting over it. Can anyone advise how I'm best to do this?
thanks
Heather

ndp decoratoring services
Apprentice
Apprentice

by ndp decoratoring services » Thu Jan 03, 2008 2:06 pm

hi if it's a stain your stuck with it apart from painting over you will not get the wood colour back as this sinks into the wood.
if its paint you stand more chance but it will take a lot of elbow grease to get right back.
to just repaint rub down with 120 grade sandpaper then apply a stain blocker/coverall product, there's loads on the market don't be fooled by a name you know with this sort of stuff you really do get what you pay for generally the more expensive the better. from there you can paint as you would anything, you may get away with a decent make OIL based undercoat instead of blocker but i'd definatly apply 2 good coats of this prior to your finishing coat.
hope of some help nigel.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon Sep 09, 2024 1:28 pm