Telephone junction box & socket?
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
3magnet
Tradesman
Tradesman

Telephone junction box & socket?

by 3magnet » Fri Jan 25, 2008 3:27 pm

Hi all,
I would like to replace my old telephone junction box & master socket, as the one we have now is old and tatty. Are there telecoms approved DIY sets available on the market, or would I need a telephone engineer to come in and replace it?

The junction box, if I am correct is the small one connected directly to the telephone cable coming in from outside. There is then a line to double socket, which I think is the 'master socket'. This socket is surface mounted, but is old and dirty. We have recently renovated and would like to upgrade things such as that around the house.

Any advice would be appreciated.

ericmark

by ericmark » Fri Jan 25, 2008 5:06 pm

Many people do replace their telephone sockets but the one provided by BT is like two in one and the bottom half of the socket can be removed to connect in any extra sockets around the house. This allows BT to quickly test if its the incoming line by simply unplugging all other sockets in the house. If you change this socket then BT can if they feel that way charge you for testing should something go wrong which would otherwise be free. I am not saying you should not do it but be aware of Open Reach charges if you get it wrong. With the old BT being split up into Open Reach and BT I am unsure how faults are charged now. The basic master (first) sockets are freely available but not with BT format we would install sockets throughout the house except for first one and often had to return after BT to connect them which was OK while still on the estate but pain once everything else was finished. But seems BT charged a lot to connect them up. Not sure what happens now it is Open Reach?
I would just change it but it would be wrong of me not to warn you of charges if you get it wrong.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Apr 13, 2024 9:40 am