Lowering bathroom floor
Help, advice, information, answers and tips on all types of flooring from laminate and carpet to timber and vinyl

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
shudgetamanin
Labourer
Labourer

Lowering bathroom floor

by shudgetamanin » Wed Jan 23, 2008 2:45 pm

Hi,

Just bought my first house and so am totally new to DIY.

I have a bathroom that it is 6ft 2 x 6ft 1 and the ceiling is only 6ft 8.
I therefore want to lower the floor by 2 inches to give me enough room to fit an overhead rain-like shower rose thing - at the missus' request.
I've taken the floorboards up and found that the joists are 6x2.
To get an extra 2 inches I was thinking that I could replace the 6x2's with 4x2's and so wouldn't have to mess about with new hangers, repiping etc...
As the room dimensions are slightly over 6ft, are 4x2's acceptable; bearing in mind I also want to tile the floor as well?

Any help, positive or negative, greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Ed

lee_p
Apprentice
Apprentice

by lee_p » Sat Jan 26, 2008 7:03 pm

Don't do it, you'll be sat down stairs if you put 4*2 in. Can you not raise the ceiling height instead as this is much easier?

thedoctor

by thedoctor » Sat Jan 26, 2008 9:40 pm

Gentle reminder that you have a legal duty of care to those living in your house as well as those visiting it. You are also legally obliged to leave it in a safe condition if you ever sell it. Putting 4 x 2 inch timbers in the floor will be very dangerous. Please see the projects section where you will find projects on building regulations and floor joists.

shudgetamanin
Labourer
Labourer

by shudgetamanin » Mon Jan 28, 2008 1:59 am

Thanks both for your replies.
I did look at the dimensions on this site in the projects area and realised that I was touching on the bare minimum, but wasn't sure about the Newtons per square metre and suchlike :?
Unfortunately I can't raise the ceiling as the bathroom is under the turn in the stairs.
On that note, my only available option then is to reposition the hangers - I'll get builder in!

Thanks again.

Ed

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Jun 27, 2024 10:14 pm