wiring up a socket with a metal backing box
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
subaqua
Labourer
Labourer

wiring up a socket with a metal backing box

by subaqua » Mon Jan 28, 2008 9:11 pm

I just wanted some clarification on my wiring for my new double socket. It will be part of the main ring and has a metal backing box. How do I wire up the earth wires.

There are two earth connections on the front plates I have ordered from screwfix and one on the appleby metal backing box. Any picutres would be very much appreciated.

stevenc1603
Ganger
Ganger

by stevenc1603 » Mon Jan 28, 2008 11:41 pm

I've always just used the one earth terminal on the plate to connect the 2 incoming earth's from the cables and the earth wire that's connected to the metal back box.

kbrownie
Project Manager
Project Manager

by kbrownie » Tue Jan 29, 2008 5:40 pm

Hi,
I wire the earths to earth terminal in the backbox. I also connect an earth from there to the face plate, if it's a metal face plate. I terminate the earths to the face plate and again from there to the backbox.
Always told most important part of an electric circuit is the earth!
Regards
KB

sparx
Project Manager
Project Manager

by sparx » Tue Jan 29, 2008 8:54 pm

hi, You should take earths(CPC's) from cable direct to accessory front plate term. it is not required by regs to earth back to box ( another NICEIC myth) you can of course if you wish do so in which case as you have another term you could use that to link a pigtail/flylead to back box term.
Now watch the action!!
for those who want to disagree i would direct them to :
page 117 of current 16th book reg # 543-02-02 (vi),
543-02-07 & 543-02-09.
So for instance you can still run circuits in metal conduits &/or trunking without an earth wire as long as you connect from the box to any fitting with a fly lead & are capable of proving continuity of metalwork, not worth the hassle but you can do it! I love the regs....
regards SPARX

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:03 pm