Dimmer Switch
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
glenn alpha
Labourer
Labourer

Dimmer Switch

by glenn alpha » Tue Feb 05, 2008 8:29 am

Hi all

I was hoping to install a dimmer switch (one-way) in my childs bedroom (which i was told was very straightforward). However, when i opened the existing cover i found that the switch was connected with 2 red wires only. The instructions for the new switch didn't mention this and so i'm not sure which red wire should connect where???

Could anybody help enLIGHTen me, i'm a bit in the dark.

Glen nice but DIM.

thedoctor

by thedoctor » Tue Feb 05, 2008 9:34 am

See our projects on replacing a light fitting and lights and switches. You will then understand how a switch works and how it is wired.

ericmark

by ericmark » Tue Feb 05, 2008 10:32 am

It seems your house is wired correct. This I am sorry to say in unusual and normally you would find red and black which I would expect is what your instructions say. Still should be simply common on old switch to common on new and L1 on old switch to L1 on new. Although the live should go to common and switch to L1 if they are wrong way around it will still work and should not cause any problems. It is unlikely the original electrician will have worried which was which in first place.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sun Oct 06, 2024 3:28 pm