Plastic or Copper?
Help and information on all topics relating to your central heating, air conditioning and ventilation issues.

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
kevalino
Labourer
Labourer

Plastic or Copper?

by kevalino » Wed Feb 06, 2008 1:39 pm

I am installing a central heating system in a new apartment in Greece. I keep reading that the new plastic pipes with push fittings are perfectly acceptable and why use copper? I will be using an oil-fired combi boiler and the pipework into the rooms will be laid on solid concrete and covered with a screed and then tiles. Any advice would help. Kev.

htg engineer
Project Manager
Project Manager

by htg engineer » Wed Feb 06, 2008 4:38 pm

hep20 or copper?

hep20 37% [ 3 ]
copper 62% [ 5 ]

Total Votes : 8

This was the result of a poll we had recently regarding plastic or copper pipes.

kevalino
Labourer
Labourer

by kevalino » Thu Feb 07, 2008 4:33 pm

I am a bit surprised at the low number of responses to this but I have since found a similar topic on another DIY site. This provoked a fierce debate with everyone falling out etc.., so maybe nobody wants to get involved in that. It seems to cause a fair split in the plumbing world.My best friend's son is a plumber (and a very busy one) in the UK and he has been in touch to say he uses plastic all the time now.

Sparkgap
Apprentice
Apprentice

by Sparkgap » Sat Feb 09, 2008 1:58 pm

If you are running full temp heating (80/70C) I wouldn't put pipework in concrete as you could end up with cracking due to high temps. Low temp systems, plastic is okay but avoid any joints in the floor.
For long term use I'd go for copper. There are a number of plastic systems on the market but compatability is a problem with different jointing methods and even different pipe sizes. With copper there is no problem as pipework is all standardised. I've been making joints in 50 year old copper pipework no trouble. Wouldn't be able to do that with plastic!

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1