cables too short.
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Jeffmo
Ganger
Ganger

cables too short.

by Jeffmo » Thu Apr 19, 2007 8:55 pm

Hi Sparks or anybody, if hyperthetically you removed an old fuse box and found wires too short to get to new consumer unit could you connect extention and cover with blank inspection plate using 30 amp connectors.The original cables run horizontal at junction /extention the cables would run vertical in wall and visible clipped to stairs and down to consumer unit any tips .Cheers Jeff

Jeffmo
Ganger
Ganger

no answer to hyperthetical ? yet cables too short

by Jeffmo » Fri Apr 20, 2007 7:50 pm

no answer yet to my ?:hope someone can help , i am slowly collating info for hyperthetical situations that may help me in the near future when i hope to be part p and self cert .Cheers Jeff . I like to ask ?'s that might happen in the real world not just on a wiring board in a classroom

sparx
Project Manager
Project Manager

by sparx » Fri Apr 20, 2007 10:14 pm

Hi Jeff seems reasonable method, the point being would an averagely sensible person know where cables run?, so as not to hit them without suspecting they are there. a leckies life is full of 'what-ifs'... so I said to this judge at my tribunal....
Make sure your public liability insurence is good.....
Regards SPARX

rogeruk
Labourer
Labourer

by rogeruk » Mon Apr 23, 2007 9:38 am

Wires too short for new consumer unit. Can I extend the wires inside the consumer unit with an appropriately sized connector?

mattherd
Labourer
Labourer

by mattherd » Mon Apr 23, 2007 11:04 am

Jeff,

I read your question and I wanted to just give you a few points on my way of thinking:

1. Theoretically you could extend the cables but its not good practice, you should really replace them unless it is impractical not to.

2. As long as the fuse that protects the circuit is equal to or under 30 amps then you can use 30amp connector block. If you are connecting to a 32amp breaker for example you shouldnt use 30amp connector block since the block is rated below the protective device and therefor you hve created a weak link in the circuit.

Hope this helps!

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Jun 29, 2024 4:14 am