WC CISTERN-WING NUTS TROUBLE??!!!!
All aspects of plumbing questions and answers, help, tips and information

7 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
stevehayes
Apprentice
Apprentice

WC CISTERN-WING NUTS TROUBLE??!!!!

by stevehayes » Tue Feb 12, 2008 3:16 pm

I am trying to replace the siphon on ac lose-coupled WC. I have turned off the water supply via the gat valve, and unscrewed the 2 screws that help support the cistern to the wall. The WC has an older overflow connector that goes outside, and I can loosen that ok, the problem is: The wing nuts are so stiff and I am not sure how to get them out! I don't want to crack the pan or cistern! I thought wing nuts went through the bottom of the cistern and connected the cistern to the back of the pan. These ones connect to the back of the pan but don't seem to come through into the bottom of the cistern!?? How will I get them out easily and are the wing nuts supposed to be this way?!!! Thanks for help !!!

htg engineer
Project Manager
Project Manager

by htg engineer » Tue Feb 12, 2008 8:14 pm

stevehayes - this is a DIY forum.

For all the posts you are submitting and none of them relating to each other - are you trading as a plumber and coming on here for advice ???

If so I suggest you complete your plumbing course before taking on work that you are not competent of carrying out.

Grundfos Pumps Feb 12th
WC cistern trouble Feb 12th
Radiator valves problems Feb 12th
Leak on hot water cylinder Feb 9th
Hot water gate valves Feb 8th
Adjusting water level in tank/cistern Feb 6th

All between 6th Feb and today ????

or maybe your house is just falling to bts.
Last edited by htg engineer on Tue Feb 12, 2008 9:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nitro23456
Foreman
Foreman

by nitro23456 » Tue Feb 12, 2008 9:01 pm

the wing nuts typically sit on a bracket on the bottom of the cistern and dont go through it.

If you are replacing the whole toilet dont even bother with these just rock it out from the wall after undoing the wall and floor fixings and disconnecting the cold feed. it is easier to cut through the plastic overflow if you arent re-using it.

If, amazingly you have a cistern that will actually fit the pan if you are just replacing the cistern, I suppose you will have to cut through the bolts under the pan. Try some wd40 and a good set of grippers first.

stevehayes
Apprentice
Apprentice

by stevehayes » Wed Feb 13, 2008 1:26 pm

I am not trading as a plumber!! I was just curious about a few things. But anyhow, if wing nuts don't actually hold the cistern to the pan then what exactly is the point of them!?

nitro23456
Foreman
Foreman

by nitro23456 » Wed Feb 13, 2008 1:39 pm

they do hold the cistern to the pan but they dont go 'through' the cistern.

stevehayes
Apprentice
Apprentice

by stevehayes » Wed Feb 13, 2008 1:55 pm

sorry my previous post was a bit confusing! Basically I want to replace the siphon in my WC as it is not flushing properley as the disahragm is worn. I just cannot undo the wing nuts as they are really stiff and rusty and just wondered how to ease this problem? Should I use WD40 ? What tools should I use to undo the wing nut? I am worried in case I crack the pan that's why I am asking for help here!!! Thanks all.

ALDA
Foreman
Foreman

by ALDA » Wed Feb 13, 2008 9:17 pm

CUT BACK THE THREADED SCREW AS CLOSE TO THE WING NUTS AS YOU CAN.

( USE JUNIOR HACKSAW OR BLADE ONLY OR ANGLE GRINDER )

APPLY WD40

WAIT A WHILE

THIS WILL MAKE UNSCREWING WINGNUTS MUCH EASIER A LOT SOONER THAN TRYING TO UNSCREW ALL THE WAY OFF THE ORIGINAL SREW LENGTH.

7 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon Sep 09, 2024 5:10 pm