Radiators hot upstairs cold downstairs
Help and information on all topics relating to your central heating, air conditioning and ventilation issues.

6 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
notsocool
Labourer
Labourer

Radiators hot upstairs cold downstairs

by notsocool » Sat Feb 09, 2008 7:18 pm

Hi all, please help a newbie out here...

I have had a new CH boiler and system installed. When it was fired up everything worked fine. Today I switch on the heating to find that I can get hot water and heating upstairs but the radiators downstairs are cold.

Why???

My heating system details are:
Boiler: Ideal Mexico HE24, located downstairs in the utility room with its controller.
The thermostat is in in the hall way.
The immersion is in the bathroom upstairs with the CH pump - Grundfos Alpha+ and a Honeywell Sundial Y Plan 3 position diverter valve.

There are no error codes on the boiler display, it shows everything is running fine.

Hot water-a-plenty, nice and hot radiators upstairs but cold (tepid) radiators downstairs.

Help... :x

ericmark

by ericmark » Sat Feb 09, 2008 11:52 pm

Will guess pump failed and running thermo siphon?

notsocool
Labourer
Labourer

by notsocool » Sun Feb 10, 2008 10:00 am

Thanks for the reply.

I have found that if I turn the radiators down upstairs it seems to heat up the ones downstairs (water being "forced" downstairs?). However, the amount of heat is not as great as what it was. Not the ideal solution but at least I'm getting some heat downstairs now!

I would imagine that means the pump is working - I can hear it kicking in, I can feel it a low vibration in it when I touch it and the thing is very hot so I suppose water is being passed through it.

Any ideas?

notsocool
Labourer
Labourer

by notsocool » Sun Feb 10, 2008 10:01 am

by the way - what is a "thermo siphon"?

PROBLEMZ
Labourer
Labourer

same problem as you

by PROBLEMZ » Sat Feb 16, 2008 3:07 pm

Hi, we are currently having the same problem as you, and even after paying a plumber. Today we have drained the system after putting in de-sludger, and have removed a couple of radiators from downstairs - they were sludged up with very dirty water, but not anything that would block the system completely. We are flushing the system currently as I type, so I'll let you know if we have any joy - please let us know likewise.

keitht
Apprentice
Apprentice

by keitht » Sat Feb 16, 2008 10:34 pm

sounds like the pump and the heat is back feeding thats why upstairs is only gettin warm. how long does your boiler light up for when the heating is turned on?

6 posts   •   Page 1 of 1