what filler for gaps in floorboards
Re-generate an old or tired space and give it a fresh breath of life. Click here for answers, information and tips

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
bsffamily
Labourer
Labourer

what filler for gaps in floorboards

by bsffamily » Sat Aug 25, 2007 8:59 am

Hello all,
need some advice about best and cheapest gap filler between old floorboards that are to be sanded down.
I have four large rooms to do and dont want to spend a fortune on resin or the gapseal products that are about. I have started fixing and replacing loose boards and have kept the sawdust . Just wondering what is best to mix it with . Is pva the best? my concern is that its too "rubbery" to sand down once gaps have been plugged.
Did this ages ago with another proerty but cant remember what I used.
any help much appreciated , thanks
simon

LNM
Labourer
Labourer

by LNM » Mon Feb 18, 2008 8:31 pm

I've tried using sawdust mixed with stuff and its a PITA. As a random suggestion, if you can get underneath, use expanding foam along the cracks, chop off all the excess from top and bottom and fill in the top bit with coloured filler.

Or use silicone, but that can be fraught because it tends not to stick because of the existing dust and rubbish on the board edges.

Or, I understand you can get insulating bubble wrap stuff to stick to the joists that negate the need to fill in the gaps (from a draught perspective)

thedoctor

by thedoctor » Tue Feb 19, 2008 3:41 pm

See our projects section - Filling gaps in floorboards.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sun Oct 06, 2024 8:22 pm