TWO WAY SWITCH DRAMA.
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
SPONGE BOB
Labourer
Labourer

TWO WAY SWITCH DRAMA.

by SPONGE BOB » Mon Feb 18, 2008 3:07 pm

Hi guys just fitting a new kitchen at the Krusty Crab and got a problem with the lights.We,ve just fitted a new 4 light halogen spot rail in place of the old light fitting,its controlled by a two way switch system,one single gang switch and a 2 gang switch which also controls the outside light.
I want to do away with the single switch as its going to be covered by a larder unit,change the 2 gang switch to a 3 gang switch and have gang 3 control the circuit for the under cupboard lights.
The 3 gang switch is in, and the under cupboard light circuit is now in but i can,t get the under cupboard lights to work independently of the main light.Heres how the switchs were originally wired up:
single gang 2 way switch ;1c= yellow 2=two reds live 1=one black one blue.
Two gang switch; gang 1 main light;1c=yellow 1=red live 2=blue
gang 2 outside light; 1c=red live 1=black
Any ideas how i can do this or will i nead to bring in a seperate live feed from the cieling rose for the cupboard lights. :roll:
Cheers guys SPONGE BOB

scorer20
Labourer
Labourer

by scorer20 » Mon Feb 18, 2008 8:46 pm

you need to take a twin from the light to the sw. and only connect the neutral and earth at the lt. then take a twin from the sw to the pelmit lights. join the nuetrals toghether in connector take a single brown wire from the common of the sw that operates outside lt to the common of the 3rd gang of the sw for the pelmit lts. then put the live going to the pelmit lights in L1. if you wish to still disconnect the 2way you should trace which particular gang of the sw the 2way is in the take out the blue, yellow, and red from the 3core. put the remaning red in the common and black in l1

scorer20
Labourer
Labourer

by scorer20 » Mon Feb 18, 2008 8:56 pm

sorry miss read your note. the single sw which 2-ways the kitchen lt join the red from the twin with the red from the 3core and join the black from the twin with the blue from the 3core. place a blank plate over the box. at the 2 gang sw put the red in the common. blue in l1 take the yellow out altoghether

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon Apr 22, 2024 2:14 am