Using inhibitors/protertors.
Help and information on all topics relating to your central heating, air conditioning and ventilation issues.

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Gene12
Labourer
Labourer

Using inhibitors/protertors.

by Gene12 » Sat Mar 15, 2008 8:52 pm

A plumber recently told me you don't need to use inhibitor/protector on a sealed system because the same water is circulated all the time. Is this right? I'm doubtful because when we had our c/h system installed 6 yrs ago, I'm sure protector was added.

Any ideas?

Thank you

ALDA
Foreman
Foreman

by ALDA » Sat Mar 15, 2008 10:26 pm

GENE,

A SEALED SYSTEM HARDLY EVER HAS NEW WATER INTRODUCED INTO THE SYSTEM, SO ANY GIVEN VOLUME OF WATER CONTAINS ONLY A GIVEN QUANTITY OF SCALE PRODUCING CHEMICALS. THE SCALE FROM THESE CHEMICALS IS DEPOSITED/PRECIPITATED WHEN THE SYSTEM IS FIRST HEATED AND AFTER THAT NO MORE SCALE CAN FORM.

HOWEVER, STEEL RADS AND COPPER PIPES CAN BE PRONE TO A FORM OF ELECTROLYTIC CORROSION.(BLACK SLUDGE RESULTS) AND A CHEMICAL INHIBITOR IS USED TO DEFEND AGAINST THIS.

SO IT DEPENDS ON WETHER YOU HAVE HARD OR SOFT WATER AND WETHER THERE IS CORROSION IN THE SYSTEM AND WETHER THAT SYSTEM IS SEALED OR VENTED.

FOOD FOR THOUGHT!!!

CHEERS,

ALDA

gremlin_1
Apprentice
Apprentice

by gremlin_1 » Sun Mar 16, 2008 11:55 am

I think you will be supprised why reputable installers use cleaners and inhibitor in heating systems.

DONFRAMAC
Ganger
Ganger

by DONFRAMAC » Tue Mar 18, 2008 1:20 am

The company which produces "SALAMANDER" brand cleansers and inhibitors, offer a testing service for your anti-corrosion strength, so you can top-up as needed.
The steel your radiators are made of reacts with water to produce a magnetic type of iron oxide called magnetite. There is a product on the market which removes this, trapping it on the surfafe of a permanent magnet in a pot. This "MAGNACLEAN" brand unit is fitted with isolator valves, so that you can shut-off the CH., then take the magnet out for a good clean under running water. (price is about £100)
Sealed CH systems are much less prone to black-sludge, so long as topping-up has been minimal.

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1