Removing 50 year old wallpaper
General decorating topics, questions and answers. find help, tips and advice on completing your decorating projects

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
ChantalRose
Labourer
Labourer

Removing 50 year old wallpaper

by ChantalRose » Sat Feb 23, 2008 1:17 pm

Hi,

I live in a victorian terrrace and have recently started removing anaglypta wallpaper with a view to skim the walls so that they are smooth to paint. Trouble is on removing the wallpaper we have discovered a layer of two more wallpapers underneath. One seems to be about 30 years old and the other maybe 50. They are simply NOT coming off. I've tried steaming, scraping, soaping! Any tips on how to get it off? Many thanks.

arbucleuk
Apprentice
Apprentice

by arbucleuk » Mon Mar 17, 2008 8:53 am

I had this problem and there is quite a simple solution

you just need to score the paper to allow the steam to penatrate it.

You can buy special rollers that due this job but I found that a pizza cutter worked a treat

alternativley a knife but not so sharp it damages the plaseter.

Hope it helps

Ps just to warn its still a graft even once this is done but a dam sight easer

toptips
Ganger
Ganger

by toptips » Mon Mar 17, 2008 7:55 pm

hi,have you tried scoring the paper with a stanley knife before steaming.

the paint pot
Apprentice
Apprentice

Re: Removing 50 year old wallpaper

by the paint pot » Tue Mar 18, 2008 11:42 pm

[quote="ChantalRose"]Hi,

I live in a victorian terrrace and have recently started removing anaglypta wallpaper with a view to skim the walls so that they are smooth to paint. Trouble is on removing the wallpaper we have discovered a layer of two more wallpapers underneath. One seems to be about 30 years old and the other maybe 50. They are simply NOT coming off. I've tried steaming, scraping, soaping! Any tips on how to get it off? Many thanks.[/quote]

HI I HAVE BEEN A DECORATOR FOR 10 YEARS YOU NEED TO USE HOUSE HOLD AMMINEA TO BREAK DOWN THE OLD GLUE
HOPE THIS HELPS
THE PAINT POT

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Sep 21, 2024 12:00 pm