Arris rails - How do you make the holes in the posts?
Topics ranging from metal fencing, wooden fencing and concrete fencing to name just a few. find answers and post your questions here

8 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Biscuitman
Apprentice
Apprentice

Arris rails - How do you make the holes in the posts?

by Biscuitman » Wed Apr 09, 2008 3:24 pm

Probably a stupid question but how do you make the holes in the posts. Or do you buy posts with these ready done?

Before I start with my chisel and a heavy heart, has anyone got any tips or hints?

Just looking to do a small run of closeboard fencing on a slope (hence not fence panels - don't like the stepping)

Thanks

Biscuitman

bones
Tradesman
Tradesman

by bones » Wed Apr 09, 2008 3:59 pm

do you need to make holes in the posts?

Why not run your rails along the front of the posts, attaching with nails and then attach the boards to the rails.......no need for holes in posts.....or am i missing the question you're actually asking?!?!? :lol:

ALDA
Foreman
Foreman

by ALDA » Wed Apr 09, 2008 9:17 pm

B,

YOU MENTION ARRIS RAILS IN YOUR POST.

THESE ARE APPLIED FLAT FACE TO BACK OF CLOSE BOARDS TO CREATE A PANEL.

YOU ONLY NEED TO USE RAILS/SPARS NAILED TO POSTS THEN BOARDS NAILED TO RAILS/SPARS AS "BONES" HAS PREVIOUSLY SUGGESTED.

TO CHISSEL OUT TRIANGULAR HOLES IN POSTS WOULD BE TORTURE, I'M SURE YOU'LL AGREE.

YOU COULD SAW "V" NOTCHES IN FACE OF POSTS TO ACCEPT ARRIS RAILS IF YOU INSIST ON USING THEM (MAYBE YOU HAVE ALREADY AQUIRED THEM , SO USE IS A MUST).

TAKE IT EASY,

ALDA.

Biscuitman
Apprentice
Apprentice

by Biscuitman » Wed Apr 09, 2008 10:11 pm

Found elsewhere suggestion that you drill 3 overlapping holes with a 20mm drill bit and then clean up with a chisel - sounds a bit more feasible.

mvkpe
Labourer
Labourer

by mvkpe » Fri Jun 13, 2008 9:53 am

I would suggest using chamfered rails (or square)and surface mounting them to the posts, of course you will have to set the posts back from the boundry so that the o/s face of the featheredge is on the boundry.

Alternativly if you have to use triangular arris rails ether cut a flat on rails where they meet the posts and attach as above, or attach using screws or nails driven in at 45 degrees through the end of the rails (scew nailed) or use a "feine" or "bosch" oscilating plunge cutter to cut the holes or resort to drill and stitch method as mentioned in a previous reply.

The "saw a triangular hole" in the face of the post will effectivly half the strength of the post. :(

charlief
Labourer
Labourer

Arris Rails

by charlief » Sun May 10, 2009 5:35 pm

You can buy galvanised triangular arris rail brackets so that you do not need to cut hole for the rails.Fit the uprights and 2 arris rails between and then nail the brackets to each end of arris rail and nail into upright.

bd3cc
Foreman
Foreman

by bd3cc » Mon May 11, 2009 12:50 am

If it is definiely Arris rail(triangular) you use a galvanised connector to fix the rail to the post. Readily available from your fencing supplier

thedoctor

Re: Arris rails - How do you make the holes in the posts?

by thedoctor » Sat Jul 06, 2013 10:54 am

This is a very old post, we are aware of that but we have become aware that it is still viewed many times every day so I thought I'd take a look. There are no rules anywhere which say an arris rail has to be used and it is perfectly acceptable to use square edged timber to form the rails on any type of fence. The attraction of arris rails is that the water runs off the sloped back, but the reality is that when a fence is installed with square edged timber the chance of the top edge being 100% level are tiny so the water problem takes care of itself. To see how to install close board fencing, please go to this link. https://www.diydoctor.org.uk/projects/closeboard.htm

8 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sun Sep 29, 2024 12:25 am