Can I tile straight onto sealed chipboard
Help, advice, information, answers and tips on all types of flooring from laminate and carpet to timber and vinyl

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
JonSwarbrick
Labourer
Labourer

Can I tile straight onto sealed chipboard

by JonSwarbrick » Tue Apr 01, 2008 11:54 am

I've read a lot of posts about bathroom floor tiling - the general rule is to lay WBP ply first. I'm concerned about the extra height this will create, especially as the wall tiling, skirtings etc are staying put which means I'll have to tile around the toilet & sink pedestal. I have 25mm chipboard floors which are screwed down. The surface is nice and flat; surely I could seal this will something and tile onto it? The tiles I will be using are the small 'mosaic' type that come on a sheet so minor movements won't put to much stress on each tile.

chris_on_tour2002
Project Manager
Project Manager

by chris_on_tour2002 » Wed Apr 09, 2008 5:27 pm

couldn't you board on top with 6mm wbp ply. it wouldn't add too much to the height of the floor. i would be wary of tiling straight onto chipboard. the tiles will stick no problem but if there were ever a leak the chipboard would swell. 6mm wbp would give an added barrier that could make all the difference should a repair become necessary.

JonSwarbrick
Labourer
Labourer

by JonSwarbrick » Thu Apr 10, 2008 1:25 pm

Hi Chris,

Thanks for your reply; I guess 6mm isn't to bad. I was hoping that there's some kind of flat waterproof membrain available that I could use instead; any ideas or experience of this?

cheers

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:56 pm