Raise the floor!!!
Re-generate an old or tired space and give it a fresh breath of life. Click here for answers, information and tips

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
paulicki
Labourer
Labourer

Raise the floor!!!

by paulicki » Mon Mar 17, 2008 9:44 pm

Help!!!!

We have a garage conversion (by previous owners) which still has the original concrete floor. We currently use it as a playroom but we want to improve it by raising the floor so it is in line with the rest of the house and is warmer.

We have come across so many different types of treated wood to lay the chipboard sheets on (we intend to lay laminate on top of that) and we are getting confused - which wood should we use for the joists and should that be secured somehow to the concrete floor? Also, what is the best and most cost effective insulation to use? We need something which is fairly quick and easy to lay - would a loose insulation work?

Sorry for the million questions - go easy on me I'm a newbie!! :)

Thanks x

Joiner_Mike
Ganger
Ganger

Raising your floor

by Joiner_Mike » Tue Apr 22, 2008 3:49 pm

Hi there...
Sorry if this reply is too late as i have only just joined.
If i was to do this then i would first lay blue visqueen sheeting on top of the concrete floor to prevent any moisture rising into the timber floor joists. Make sure u give the sheets about 6" overlap and tap it down. Let the sheets come up the walls you can cut these off later with a stanley knife.
Next i would use normal softwood timbers. Size depends on how much u need to raise the floor normaly 2" thick. Don't for get to deduct the thickness of the chipboard and laminate flooring so the finished floor level is what u want it to be.
When you have the the timer u require, i would first make the outer framework up and plug ans screw this to the walls with the visqueen inbetween the joists and walls. Then starting at one of the narrow walls mark 400mm centres for you joists so the joists are running acroos the shortest way/width of the room (These can be fixed by scewing the screws on a 45 degree angle into your fixed outed framwork.
With the off cuts from you joists fix some noggins inbetween the joists so u end up with a frame work looking like squares. Put the noggins with centres the same width as your chips board flooring. so when u put the chipboard down all 4 of the outer ages are supported.
So you should be fixing your chipboard flooring with the length of the board the oppersite way to your floor joists but the same way as your noggins. Then lay your laminate on top of this. If you need anymore info just let me know :D

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Sep 14, 2024 10:51 pm