Wiring into a Conservatory
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Dave78
Apprentice
Apprentice

Wiring into a Conservatory

by Dave78 » Thu May 03, 2007 9:33 pm

I am having to re-wire a socket in the conservatory. The old wire was damaged when we took the top (wooden) part off the dwarf walls (the power had been disconnected before we started any work) and removed by the builder when making some repairs to the walls etc.

Anyway the power for this socket comes from an existing socket in the garage - goes to a fused switch (in the garage about an inch from the existing socket) - then to a double socket (wire run is approx 2-3 metres) in the conservatory.

My questions are

As I am what is in effect adding a fused spur - I understand that I don't have to be either part p qualified to do this or to inform the local building control?

The routing. The old wiring was just there sitting in the cavity, from a hole in the wall that goes to the garage - to the back of the socket cage. How I'm told that running wires in cavities is not liked now-a- days, however - the back of the socket cage is the cavity - I cannot chase out the wall as it is brick and there is to be no additional finish to this (brick dwarf wall in conservatory). If I drill straight though from the back of the socket cage (through the cavity and exterior wall) I would drill into the corner of the garage wall, so I need to take the wire either left or right to be able to get it out of the cavity. How is the best way to do this?

Thanks in advance

Dave

sparx
Project Manager
Project Manager

by sparx » Fri May 04, 2007 6:33 pm

Hi Dave I believe you are correct ref.p.p. as conservatory not considered a high risk area and you are not creating a new circuit, main reasons for not running in cavities are:
damp-bridging if cable touches inner and outer wall skins.
Cavity insulation may cause cable to over-heat & foam type can deplasticise PVC cable which can cause failure, so if niether likely then carry on,
regards SPARX

Dave78
Apprentice
Apprentice

by Dave78 » Fri May 04, 2007 6:51 pm

Thank you for the reply, its just with all regs and part p now its hard to work out whether what I would have down as few years ago is now still allowed

Cheers

Dave

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Sep 19, 2024 1:43 pm