Plumbing
All aspects of plumbing questions and answers, help, tips and information

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
maryvale
Apprentice
Apprentice

Plumbing

Post by maryvale » Mon Jun 16, 2008 4:00 pm

Can someone please tell me how to connect a new wash hand basin into a lead waste pipe and trap. Thanks

bobplum
Foreman
Foreman

Post by bobplum » Mon Jun 16, 2008 7:32 pm

hi
you can get a mechanical fixing, mcalpine waste products make one
would it or can you not replace the waste piping for new
bob

Skids
Ganger
Ganger

Post by Skids » Mon Jun 16, 2008 8:11 pm

Hi maryvale,

How far does the lead pipe work run for?

Can you remove all the lead pipe back to the main (110mm) down pipe?

Strip out as much of the lead as you can, take it back to a neat cut on a straight part of the pipe, on which you can join the new plastic pipe, take the old lead down to a scrap metal dealer and get some money for it, it will pay for the new plastic pipe work plus a pint of two.

Fine an ‘independent’ plumbers merchants and with the lead pipe dimensions (take the other end of the neat cut) in hand and ask for an pipe ‘adaptor ring’ which will fit.

Depending on the dia of the lead pipe you may have to fit either 32mm or maybe 40mm ‘sink waste’ ‘trap’ and ‘pipe’.

Regards

Skids

maryvale
Apprentice
Apprentice

Plumbing

Post by maryvale » Tue Jun 17, 2008 11:20 am

Thanks for both your replies. I have investigated further and decided to replace the bath as well as the washbasin. The bath outlet is also in lead and joins the washbasin outlet and the combined lead pipe goes into the horizontal upper end of the cast iron downpipe under the eaves, and is reasonably accessible. Do I cut the lead pipe and buy a fitting or do I remove the lead pipe and seal from the iron pipe end and get a plastic connector for that ?

chris_on_tour2002
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by chris_on_tour2002 » Tue Jun 17, 2008 2:42 pm

if the lead walls of the pipe are thick enough you can file down the external walls and fit a compression coupler on it. just make sure you file an even amount off all the way round.

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 11:24 am