All aspects of plumbing questions and answers, help, tips and information

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
chris_on_tour2002
Project Manager
Project Manager

shower waste

by chris_on_tour2002 » Tue Jun 17, 2008 3:49 pm

hi folks,

trying to connect the trap for my shower to 1½" waste pipe. the trap was supplied with the "designer trays" 45mm shower tray.

the problem is that i can't find any 1½" pipe that will fit into the trap/compression joint. it is all a fraction too fat for the trap. i've tried to file a piece of polypipe but had to take too much off to get it to fit.

i've tried connecting to polypipe, marley (which used to be thinner than polypipe but not any more it seems) and mcalpine and none fit.

its definitely not 1¼" - the pipe is way too small and just rattles around.

anybody aware of any makers of thinner walled 1½" pipe?

htg engineer
Project Manager
Project Manager

by htg engineer » Tue Jun 17, 2008 8:51 pm

Try Wickes own waste pipe,sometimes the cheaper makes are slightly thinner walled.

htg

chris_on_tour2002
Project Manager
Project Manager

by chris_on_tour2002 » Wed Jun 18, 2008 2:43 pm

i called the manufacturer about this they told me that the trap is designed for use with push-fit waste pipe which is slightly smaller. didn't know this as i've never used the stuff, i only use solvent weld and occasionally compression. however the push-fit pipe fits perfectly.

only downside is that i had to use a universal compression coupler to get onto the polypipe - keen to avoid this as its all buried under the floor between joists but hey needs must sometimes.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Apr 13, 2024 2:49 am