Fixing of basin onto a drawer base unit
All aspects of plumbing questions and answers, help, tips and information

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
nickambrose
Apprentice
Apprentice

Fixing of basin onto a drawer base unit

by nickambrose » Tue May 08, 2007 3:13 pm

I am in the process of fitting a basin (Vernon Tutbury, Fellini) and wish to install it as a countertop type on a drawer base unit (Vernon Tutbury). The manufacturers supply no fixings and my plumber states that it could be fixed with some rubber expansion fixings from below, through the worktop into the apertures cast within the basin. The problem is that we can't find any fixings to suit. Has anyone any idea of which fixings and where to get them. I have telephoned the manufacturers and they don't have any and they also don't have anyone who can advise.

thedoctor

by thedoctor » Sat May 12, 2007 10:04 am

The fellini is not designed for this type of fitting Nick and any fittings would need to be made for you which, I think, is why the manufacturer seems to be so unhelpful. A trip to a local engineering workshop may provide the answer if you take the basin with you and explain what you need.

jondeau
Ganger
Ganger

by jondeau » Sat May 12, 2007 10:38 am

Just as a matter of interest...........

I have a countertop basin in my bathroom, I was unable to get any fixings for it, so I stuck it down with silicone.

It's been there for nine years now.

I figured that as I had piped up the taps with copper it couldn't go far if it started to come loose....

Anyway, it's still as solid as a rock.

nickambrose
Apprentice
Apprentice

by nickambrose » Sat May 12, 2007 5:13 pm

[quote="thedoctor"]The fellini is not designed for this type of fitting Nick and any fittings would need to be made for you which, I think, is why the manufacturer seems to be so unhelpful. A trip to a local engineering workshop may provide the answer if you take the basin with you and explain what you need.[/quote]

It's a bit misleading though that they show the fellini in their catalogue as mounted as a countertop on their drawer unit just as we have attempted. The stockist also shows this arrangement in their showroom and they didn't know how to fix it either apart from the wall mounting which you can't access with the drawer unit below. I have now managed to get some M5 rubber nuts that are 9.5mm OD on the fixing and they have worked fine. I just had to visit about 5 stockists before I could get them. The plumber did suggest we fix it with just silicone but I would prefer a more substantial fixing as I have known someone to trip and grab at a basin for support and pull it off the wall causing them some injury in the process.

nickambrose
Apprentice
Apprentice

by nickambrose » Sat May 12, 2007 5:15 pm

[quote="jondeau"]Just as a matter of interest...........

I have a countertop basin in my bathroom, I was unable to get any fixings for it, so I stuck it down with silicone.

It's been there for nine years now.

I figured that as I had piped up the taps with copper it couldn't go far if it started to come loose....

Anyway, it's still as solid as a rock.[/quote]
Thanks. The plumber did suggest fixing with silicon but as we have flexible connections to the taps I would prefer a more substantial fixing.

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon Jul 01, 2024 6:11 am